KLX or KX front suspension?

Got questions? We got answers....
goatrider

Post by goatrider »

Hello all. Been talking to Jason about rear suspension. Started this new front suspension post. I have a 1999 KDX200 bought used. I'm old and brittle. Only ride woods and log trails maybe three times per year on trips only. Live in city. Anyway, PO installed a KLX300 front end. I was curious if I would fair better with a KX front end. I want to enjoy my ride, but since I don't race or ride frequently, would it be worth the trouble and expense to swap the KLX front end out for a KX front end? I do go fast, but not a pro by any means. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Also, if KX front end is recommended, what year model KX parts should I look to purchase to install on my '99 H series KDX200, and what parts do I need to buy? Thanks.
MaverickAus
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: KLX or KX front suspension?

Post by MaverickAus »

3 times a year? Why bother?

Yes KX is better but is it worth the trouble and expense?
BamBam
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by BamBam »

What is front with the way the KLX forks feel that you want to change? I would bet with some tuning you can make the KLX forks be everything you need,.especially with a focus on woods riding.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

No way in hell. KLX all day in your case. Keep what you have. This is about as clear a case for not going KX as I can remember.

I would say at some point, check the fork oil at least. Proper spring rate, rebuilding forks and Race Tech Gold Valves could be maintenance and tuning to look into.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
goatrider

Post by goatrider »

After reading the necessary steps to convert to KX forks and as little as I am able to ride, you folks have convinced me to keep the KLX forks and rework them. The PO gave me a new KLX fork rebuild kit still in the package when I bought the bike, so I don't think he has done anything to them other than install the forks on the KDX. I'll look into the Race Teck Gold Valves. Any suggestions on where to purchase them? Not sure about spring rate, but I'll have to check around. FRP website recommends .38kg springs for rider weight between 140-190lbs, but that's for the stock KDX200 forks. Not sure if that would apply to these KLX300 forks. Thank you.
goatrider

Post by goatrider »

Just checked out RT website. It's great! They recommend .409kg springs for me for KLX300 forks. Stock is .38 but I see complaints on the Internet that the stock .38 is too soft for most unless you are under 140 lbs. Those gold valves are pricey aren't they?
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

My son is currently racing a KLX300 that we have properly sprung for his weight and added gold valves. He rides that thing fast and hard and the front end is very nice. I almost prefer the feel of it over my KX250 front end on the hybrid, it just works better in the woods, where mine works better at higher speeds in the desert. For as little as you ride the stock forks properly sprung would be everything you need, so the KLX forks are really a bonus IMO. Obviously the trick is to properly spring front AND rear and set sag.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

If you don't ride but 3 times a year, I would be hesitant to go up just one rate in spring. I am not sure which rates they still make.
tmmyghst

Post by tmmyghst »

I have a 200 H with KLX forks. I changed the seals ,put in fresh oil and made sure they were clean.
Stock springs. Its a little soft but very plush.
I'm 180 without gear,a pretty decent trail rider and ride the local mountains of So Cal and the desert. Could use stiffer springs but I'm still happy with the way it works.
Hope this helps. They look more "Moto" than the stock forks also.
I admit that was a bit of a factor in the switch.
goatrider

Post by goatrider »

Thanks for the input from all. That really helps. These KLX forks I have must be rebuilt, so I thought I'd maybe stiffen the springs a little at the same time if affordable. Do the gold valves make that much difference at that price? I only ride several times a year when I take trips to east or southeast TN mountains. Nowhere to ride nearby without getting arrested. However, when I do ride, I usually ride hard and long for 3 days each trip. I hope to ride more often when I get the bike ready. I want the setup to be good for very rough terrain, (ruts and rocks) but also affordable (don't we all?). Anyway, curious about the gold valves v. stiffer springs. I still have to deal with my rear shock as mentioned in another thread, so I can't pour all of my money on one end of the bike. Also thought about sending the head and carb to RB to let him work his magic. Thanks again.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Stock spring rate in the KLX300 forks was 0.38 Kg/mm.

What parts do you have on rebuilding the forks?

I'd rather have fresh suspension properly sprung than the engine / pipe mods. If you want more power, get a KDX250. :grin:
goatrider

Post by goatrider »

Crap my garage is full of stuff Jason. I found all the KDX extras PO gave me except the fork rebuild kit. I'm sure I placed it where I could find it easily and now can't remember where. I'll look some more in the a.m. for the kit when it's not so hot! My garage is an avalanche waiting to happen. Too hot to pick it all up right now when it falls. I'll check back tomorrow and hopefully let you know. Thanks.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

I would ride it the way it is and see how it works for you. Gold valves would really be a waste of money, money better spent in other places riding that much.
goatrider

Post by goatrider »

I just asked because I've never used gold valves and know nothing about them, other than they are expensive! The rebuild kit the PO gave me that I've misplaced has a lot of parts included, not just seals. I'm wondering if new valves are included. I've installed seals on older bikes, but I've never bought or seen a kit with so many parts included. Hope I can find the darn thing. Thanks bufftester.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

OK, let us know.

The Gold Valves are a lot better than the stock valves. They offer a lot more tuning opportunity than the stock valves. I don't think I would do it if it was your limited riding chances, though.
goatrider

Post by goatrider »

Thanks Jason. I'll try to find that fork rebuild kit tomorrow and see what I have and repost. BTW, I left you a message regarding your rear shock rebuild kit availability on my "which rear spring" post. Thanks.
goatrider

Post by goatrider »

After digging my way through hell (my garage) I just found the fork rebuild kit along with a lot of other neat extras the PO gave me. The fork kit is made by "Pivot Works" and has oil seals, bushings, various o rings, copper washers, dust seals. No valves. Think I should just clean everything up and use this kit? Thanks.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Yeah. Go for it. If you had no kit, I would suggest KYB, but since you have that one, use it.
goatrider

Post by goatrider »

Thanks Jason. You tha man even though you gulp Zima
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

You are OK, too, especially since I have now seen that you live by the whipping boy school of SEC football, Vandy. (SMH) :razz:

:lol: :partyman: