Fork preload spacers

Got questions? We got answers....
Dave B
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Fork preload spacers

Post by Dave B »

Did the shim stack mod today and when apart I noticed that the PO had installed pre load spacers that were set at zero preload, if not negative preload. It appears that he used metal conduit as a spacer. I picked up some 1" PVC as suggested on here. My issue is that when using the 1" PVC the washers or collars that fit into the stock spacers will not fit into the PVC. If the washers are flipped over the collars fit into the spring and into the cap leaving a flat surface for the PVC to rest against. However there isn't anything to keep the spacer centered. What is the preferred method of installing PVC?
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Fork preload spacers

Post by doakley »

Hmmm. I haven't used PVC but it would seem unlikely 1" would move around significantly. Not sure I would worry about it.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Fork preload spacers

Post by KDXGarage »

Dave B wrote:Did the shim stack mod today and when apart I noticed that the PO had installed pre load spacers that were set at zero preload, if not negative preload. It appears that he used metal conduit as a spacer. I picked up some 1" PVC as suggested on here. My issue is that when using the 1" PVC the washers or collars that fit into the stock spacers will not fit into the PVC. If the washers are flipped over the collars fit into the spring and into the cap leaving a flat surface for the PVC to rest against. However there isn't anything to keep the spacer centered. What is the preferred method of installing PVC?

When I looked at the diagram, it looks like the inner portion of the washer points downward into the spring and into the spacer. I would point the one down into the spring and flip the other one upside down if it allows it. I think the PVC will not move around much and 1 1/4" PVC is shown as 43+ mm, so it won't fit.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Dave B
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Fork preload spacers

Post by Dave B »

That is what I did, pointed one down into the spring and pointed the other up into the cap leaving the flat surface to rest against the PVC. The spacers can move off-center but don't think it should pose a problem.
Did more reading which said that a 1" PVC coupler should be used not 1" PVC pipe. Will take a trip to the hardware store and measure up some couplers.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

What is OD on a coupler? I think 33.4 mm for the pipe.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

SCH 80 is 0.179" wall thickness vs, 0.133" for SCH40, might want to look into researching that.
Dave B
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Fork preload spacers

Post by Dave B »

Well I found out that not all PVC is the same! What I had was 1" CPVC which is the off white colored stuff for water, quite often seen on hot water tanks. For some unknown reason even though labeled 1" the inside dimension is closer to 7/8". I never measured it as to me 1" is 1"....
Picked up some of the real 1" PVC and all is good.
Thanks for the replies.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Hey. You are welcome. Glad you got it all sorted out. :bravo: