RB head question

Got questions? We got answers....
KDXer
Supporting Member

RB head question

Post by KDXer »

Is this head ready to bolt straight on or does it require a clean first ??

Also would there be any benefit if I gave the dome a highly polished finish ??

Would it be best to replace the head gasket when I do the head swap, keep in mind I have done about 60mile and didn't use any spray on products ??

Cheers,
Trev...

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

The head is spotless and shiny. If it needed a polish fininsh Ron would have done it.
I always use a new head gasket cuz they are cheap. Cometic sells single gaskets. I know quite a few people that re-use with the copper spray and they haven't had probs.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
GS

Post by GS »

I'm just pulling my box-stock '99 220 topend apart.... pretty sure this is the first time it's had any beady eyes on it since new and the cumbustion chamber is spotless.......spotless. For some reason not-a-thing sticks. Don't know how to improve on that! If the gasket does leak on re-use...well that is kind of a pain in the arse. If you decide to re-use the gasket, would you let us know if it works?
Now I gotta go figure out/fumble with this "KIPS" thing... :blink:

Greg
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

Reuse of head gasket? You may get by with reusing or you may not. If it starts leaking you may warp the head and need to then have it surfaced. You may be 20 miles from the truck or on the 3rd mile of a 60 mile trip.

For my 'piece of mind' in combination with a little attention to detail has kept my bike from ever being the bike that needs to be pulled out from a ride. I do what I can to keep it that way. :grin:

New head gaskets are cheap compared to a trip gone wrong due to a head gasket being reused.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine