Kdx200 jetting question .. have Rd mod

Got questions? We got answers....
El Gran Jamon

Kdx200 jetting question .. have Rd mod

Post by El Gran Jamon »

Hey all, first off thanks for any help. .

Have a 1990 plated kdx 200 with Rd carb mods.
Been riding it out around 8000 ft in the Sierras, expect to do so again next weekend. For first few days of my last trip, had a stumble off idle. Fixed that by turning air screw in to 7/8th as Ron (?)suggested and working from there. It's at 1 and 1/8th seems good, and I backed out the main from 152 as suggested by Ron to 150.

Prior to change to 150, I could not feel much or any top end. The idle circuit had all the juice, after 1/4 or so twist not much. I read somewhere the Rd mod makes the low speed circuit the most authorative of the jets, adjustments... since I had the Rd mod I can't get the instant snap for front-wheel log hopping. What I Do get is xr250 like low end torque for trail work.

.is it possible I am still too rich and need 148 at altitude?
.needle clip is at 3, should I move clip down to 4 (enrichen) and hope to get some snap back?

At this point I barely feel the 2 stroke hit. I understand that's rpm based from the kips governor but barely there, kips valves r new and appear funtional.

Twitchy, cantankerous bike! But..has more in it at altitude than my xr250 so I hope to dial it in.

Thanks
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Kdx200 jetting question .. have Rd mod

Post by John_S »

I would leave the main alone for right now and put the needle on clip 4 and then clip 2 for test runs. Youre only going to need a minute in each clip position (engine up to temp) to know if you got it right. It's good to know what an overly rich and overly lean needle feels like anyway if you don't already. When the needle is right it makes all the difference. Once you have that dialed in then do a plug chop and adjust the main jet according to your finding and seat of the pants feel at wide open.