Fixing Cracked Shrouds

Got questions? We got answers....
VTMTcowboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Fixing Cracked Shrouds

Post by VTMTcowboy »

I was able to finally find a set of purple shrouds for a reasonable price mainly because one has a 2-3" crack on it. The shrouds are currently in the mail being shipped to me, but based on the pictures they are still usable even with the damage. Just wondering if there are any good ways to stabilize the plastic from cracking anymore than it currently is? Doesn't have to look perfect, just be effective. Thank you for any advice.

Ben
1997 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Fixing Cracked Shrouds

Post by doakley »

Stop drilling each end of the crack will help keep it from continuing. Google polypropylene repairs and you may find an adhesive that will let you glue a backing piece inside the panel to reinforce it. I think these are polypropylene. Look for a "PP" somewhere n the back side. One of the most drficult plastics to glue.
VTMTcowboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by VTMTcowboy »

Thank you doakley. Ill google it and see if anything comes up. If all else fails I just use the trusty duct tape!
1997 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200
jjavaman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jjavaman »

There is a thing called plastic welding, melts the parts back together. Heat is your friend when trying to fix plastic.
97-220 with a PC pipe. 2015- RB carb and head mod
VTMTcowboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by VTMTcowboy »

Did some research today and looks like plastic welding is the best bet, but I may try some apoxy and glue for starters. Most of my searches came up empty, so that probably should tell me something, but I am stubborn haha.
1997 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Epoxy will melt the plastic. Best to use a piece of scrap purple plastic and melt it into the crack (after drilling "stop" holes). I have done this work before, be patient and use as low heat as possible. Once done filling the crack, sand it smooth.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
patreilly
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by patreilly »

Riveting a piece of aluminum to the back works sometimes.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

6 Riders wrote:Epoxy will melt the plastic. Best to use a piece of scrap purple plastic and melt it into the crack (after drilling "stop" holes). I have done this work before, be patient and use as low heat as possible. Once done filling the crack, sand it smooth.
Did you melt the scrap plastic into the crack using a heat gun? Did you physically get the plastic hot enough to "drip" into the crack that you were trying to fix? Or did you place it on top of the crack and let it melt into the crack? I'm working on a purple number plate at the moment with the same issue as the OP. Trying to get more info... I know I wanted try the plastic welding on this, but was afraid I wouldn't be able to find any purple filler material that would match.
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

I used a soldering iron, cut a piece to size and held it lime a pen while melting into the cracks

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
JL4049

Post by JL4049 »

I just drill the end of the crack as others have mentioned, then I drill a line of holes either side of the crack, along its length (1/2" or so apart ). I then use small cable ties to sew it together in a Criss cross pattern. My left radiator shroud has been like this for months and is still hanging in there lol.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

The zip tie method works super awesome, if you don't mind seeing the "stitches" lol I did it on a couple spots on my quad and I feel like it looks like the top of frankensteins skull everytime I see it haha

The small crack I am working with, I JB welded the backside and its holding up pretty strong (just flexing it in my hands). But you can still see the crack on the front side. Going to give that hot-drip-into-the-crack trick a try and see how it goes.
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike