Ok, put about 2500 miles on , learning 1990 kdx

Got questions? We got answers....
El Gran Jamon

Ok, put about 2500 miles on , learning 1990 kdx

Post by El Gran Jamon »

Since I did the top end, carb (rd) kips and a bunch of other knick knacks on this plated kdx, I've put almost 3k miles on the top end.

So far I like it! For background I'm an xr guy, keep a xr650r and a xr280 for years. The kdx after I fiddled with the carb, jetting, airscrew it beats the xr280 everywhere except rocks.. safer at sub 55 mph in twisty stuff than the xr650r as it doesn't push so much in turns.

Anyhow, appears jetting is super critical for a 2 stroke. When I cracking it open it doesn't have anything after 1/2, 3/4 throttle. Common? Granted, I am riding at 7500 ft or more. Do you guys with the Rd carb carry some sort of little box with common jets? If so which ones?
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Ok, put about 2500 miles on , learning 1990 kdx

Post by bufftester »

Is it jetted for that altitude or for much lower. If you spend the majority of your time there I would go through the jetting process at the altitude you ride at. After 1/2 throttle the biggest player is main jet, if jetted at low altitude then at high you're going to be rich. 2Ts are indeed jetting critical, even at a constant altitude, you could make changes to the airscrew from morning to afternoon just to account for changes in ambient temperature (albeit small changes).
El Gran Jamon

Re: Ok, put about 2500 miles on , learning 1990 kdx

Post by El Gran Jamon »

Thanks, the jetting tip is very helpful, oranized.