New boots!

Got questions? We got answers....
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

New boots!

Post by thirdgenlxi »

Wasn't really sure where to put this since there isn't really a gear section, lol. But anyways.... my old POS Fox boots that I've had since I started riding dirt (a little over 2 years ago) were literally falling apart... badly. Stitching was ripped out, the metal plates on the toes both gone, a buckle broken off, and I had re-glued the soles back on prob 5 times between the 2 of them, lol. These were just some cheaops I had gotten to get me started riding.... as bad of shape as they're in they still served me well as I did get a LOT of use out of them (put 713 hours on the bike since I've had it..... though some are street). But I really didn't want to get another cheap entry level boot, this time I wanted to get something with a little more protection and a bit better quality.... something that would hold up a good long time, especially for somebody who rides a lot, as I do. From the reviews I've read, it seems Alpinestars quality has kinda gone down on their boots here lately, at least if you get anything but the Tech 10's. So I was looking more at Gaerne SG-10/12's, Sidi Crossfire 2's, or the Formas.... either the current model Predators or previous model Dominators. After many nights of searching around, reading reviews, seeing what was available in my size that still fit in my budget, I decided on....

(I love getting new packages in the mail! haha)

Ended up going with the Dominator Comp 2.0's. After talking to a buddy who, I found out from reading reviews, was the rider chosen for a long term test of the Predator boots. Got talking to him about them and he said while he loved them, he actually liked the Dominators more, as they had the little inner booties. Even though the Dominators were they're previous "latest and greatest" model, you can still buy them brand new directly from Forma. So that's what I did! The Formas are supposed to be some of the most comfortable boots to walk in, and since a lot of our rides do involve some foot exploring (or pushing of bikes, hahah), that was an important factor for me, aside from the riding protection

I definitely like the pivot..... doesn't bend and dig into your ankles when walking

The soles are super thick compared to my Fox boots..... I'm thinking I'll prob have to adjust my shift lever up a bit, lol

Pow Pow Power Rangers!! :lol: :lol: Sorry I had to, LOL. But yea, I guess I might have a thing for bright colors. I really didn't actually mean to get everything matching..... I didn't want white boots, the pants and jersey I got on closeout as last years model a few months back ($64 for the set.... I couldn't pass it up!), and the goggles I got 2 years ago when i first started riding. Can't see it but the socks are black and hi-viz green too, lol. Add a Kawi green bike on top of that..... there's no missing me on the trails!

Seriously though I wanted to make sure everything fit with all the gear in place, and get buckles adjusted and whatnot. Everything fit great! Walked around in them for awhile and they are seriously comfortable :supz:

Old boots..... I think they were tired and ready for retirement, haha. Probably more like long overdue

I'm excited to get out and ride with them..... prob gonna head out Friday morning if it's not pouring rain. I have a feeling it'll be a night and day difference from the old ones. Hopefully they last a good long while too. All the reviews were excellent, and just looking and feeling them, the quality and fit/finish and materials seem to be top notch. The buckles are awesome, and everything is soooo much more rigid than the old boots. They do feel a little on the heavy side, but I suppose that's the price you pay for more protection and an overall better boot

Now next on my list is a pair of knee braces.... already wear the regular knee/shin guards, but want to get a set of actual braces
MaverickAus
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

New boots!

Post by MaverickAus »

:busted:

My eyes, I'm blind arghhhhhh

Just kidding they look the business, good luck with them. I had a set of those fox boot's, they didn't last well.
ronjac

Re: New boots!

Post by ronjac »

Nice boots. Looking forward to seeing more reviews from you. I'm curious if they are really comfortable.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

New boots!

Post by SS109 »

Good choice! Forma's are awesome boots. I put them right up there with the best of the best. However, I prefer boots without the inner booties but that's just me.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

New boots!

Post by thirdgenlxi »

SS109 wrote:Good choice! Forma's are awesome boots. I put them right up there with the best of the best. However, I prefer boots without the inner booties but that's just me.
Yea that was kinda the impression I got too from others..... some people loved the booties and only wanted boots that had them, while others didn't like them at all. Seemed more just a personal preference though. My one buddy that did like the booties though had a good point..... being able to just throw them in the wash and makes it a little easier keeping the stank down, lol (it does often get very wet where we ride) :blink: I've never tried them before so I figured I'd try them and see if I like them.... if not then I'll just sell them and get something without. So far though they fit great and are super comfy
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

New boots!

Post by pumpguy »

Thanks for your report.

Those soles look kinda smooth, like for motocross riding. Are they also available with a lug type sole for enduro riders?
cornishwrecker220

New boots!

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

I have the exact same boots but in blue!...I've had them for over a year & they are a solid boot with lots of protection albeit not that waterproof .....& they squeak a little too !
A quality boot & worth the money . :grin:
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

New boots!

Post by thirdgenlxi »

pumpguy wrote:Thanks for your report.

Those soles look kinda smooth, like for motocross riding. Are they also available with a lug type sole for enduro riders?
Yea they are more of an MX boot..... the actual Enduro boots seem few and far between. Forma does sell replacement soles, including an enduro/ADV sole, and supermoto soles as well (since I do ride this bike as a sumo as well). I don't believe they have an option for them to come with the enduro sole on them though, you'd have to replace it

http://formaboots.com/products.php?section=accessori
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

New boots!

Post by thirdgenlxi »

cornishwrecker220 wrote:I have the exact same boots but in blue!...I've had them for over a year & they are a solid boot with lots of protection albeit not that waterproof .....& they squeak a little too !
A quality boot & worth the money . :grin:
Hahahah I noticed that too when I was walking around..... squeak squeak squeak! I have a pair of Sidi's for street and track boots (I ride a sportbike as well), and they do the same thing. No sneaking up on anybody with those things :lol:
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

pumpguy wrote:Thanks for your report.

Forma sells an enduro boot as well as the mx boots. Take a few minutes and check out what they have to offer

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

I actually found I prefer a sole without too aggressive of a lug sole. I can move my feet around on the pegs better. Sometimes the lugs get a little caught up on the pegs.
BamBam
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by BamBam »

I went with the Alpine Star Tech 7 enduro model. The sole looks to have about the same semi-moderate texture, but a very comfortable boot (no inner bootie) and feels like it offers great protection.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

I also am wearing the Alpinestars Tech 7s, super comfortable bootie-less, but they also squeak lol. I also ride with over the boot pants (Klim) and have run through a lot of wheel deep creeks and have never had wet toes yet!. Like the look of those Formas though!
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

New boots!

Post by thirdgenlxi »

Well I had to go out and give them a try this morning, and I must say..... I love them! Took a little getting used to, as they're a lot stiffer all around than my old worn out hoopties, lol. I had to move my shift lever up a notch cuz I couldn't get underneath it anymore. But they were super comfy! I'm sure they'll break in some but even now I have no complaints

A thanks to my friend Andrea for the glamor shots :lol: :lol: (hey she offered, lol)

And had to get a little video too.... Since we were pretty much there by ourselves (which is common during the week), we did a couple of the shorter trails backwards. I hadn't done this one backwards before..... This is a pretty steep rocky downhill normally, with a creek at the bottom. Always wondered how bad it would be to ride back up it, and since we were doing this trail backwards, I guess I got to find out. Looks kinda bad but really wasn't bad at all. Good ol' tractor power! Haha

[youtube][/youtube]