engine failure???

Got questions? We got answers....
commanderjjones

engine failure???

Post by commanderjjones »

So my 220 hasn't been 100% since I bought it a couple of months ago. The top end had been rebuilt right before I bought it, and I verified compression at 150. After checking EVERY possible thing that I could and tried to re-jet it, I was left with the assumption that the KIPS might be clogged up. I tore the top end down Saturday, cleaned the KIPS, and also replaced a leaking pump seal while I was at it. The KIPS was dirty, but not horrible.....not enough to be the problem. I got a gasket kit from Cometic, but unfortunately they sent a head gasket for an oversize (70mm) piston. Wasn't sure if it would be okay to run it, so I re-used the old head gasket.........yeah, I know :oops: .

So I started it and let it warm. Rode it up and down the street a couple times, but it's still smoking heavily and falling on it's face HARD........almost like it's hitting a rev limiter. If I pin the throttle for about 2 or 3 seconds, it will eventually rev out of it. Well, after 4 or 5 times of pinning it and "cleaning it out", she let out a loud SQUEAL :shock: . Yeah, pretty sure the head gasket just went :roll: . Not a biggie since I have a new one on the way, but it was damn sure unnerving. Anyone know if it would hurt to run the 70mm gasket with the 69mm piston? About the only thing I think it would do is lower the compression a very small amount.....not enough to matter. Any thoughts on this?

Back to the engine problem.............About the only thing I haven't checked is the coil.....because I really don't know how and don't think my multi-meter will measure that high. Same thing on the plug wire. I mean it LOOKS okay, but that doesn't mean squat. Any advice there? I hate to keep throwing parts at it.
david

Re: engine failure???

Post by david »

Never heard of a head gasket squealing. When you pull back down, you should probably pull the cylinder back off and check the rod ends for signs of overheating, or you could have a crank bearing failing. A squealing motor is never a good thing.
'81 KDX 175
'90 KDX 200
'07 Vulcan 2000 Classic LT (totaled 4/25/15)
'82 Honda GL500 (sold)
'96 ZXi 1100 JetSki
'98 STX 1100 JetSki
commanderjjones

david wrote:.......or you could have a crank bearing failing........
That's what I'm afraid of. :cry:

I did speak with the people at Cometic and they said the 70mm head gasket is for a 69mm OR a 70mm piston. So I should have went ahead and installed the new gasket.

I guess I'll tear it down again and take a look. I've had a blown head gasket squeal once, but I'm more afraid it's something that I can't see.......like the crank bearings.
commanderjjones

So does anyone know how to check the coil and plug wire?
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

engine failure???

Post by pumpguy »

IMO, you don't have a spark plug or coil problem. I would pull the plug and check for spark. If you have a nice blue and snappy spark, I would think you have other problems.

Squealing noises are usually mechanical; bearings, pistons, stuff like that. Could be one of the wrist pin circlips came loose. There is a right way and wrong way to install these.

Good luck, and let us know what you find.
commanderjjones

engine failure???

pumpguy wrote:IMO, you don't have a spark plug or coil problem. I would pull the plug and check for spark. If you have a nice blue and snappy spark, I would think you have other problems.

Squealing noises are usually mechanical; bearings, pistons, stuff like that. Could be one of the wrist pin circlips came loose. There is a right way and wrong way to install these.

Good luck, and let us know what you find.
Oh, I know the squeal wasn't the coil or wire issue, but it was still running crappy (not wanting to rev' up) before the squeal happened. I'm gonna try to tear it apart tonight or tomorrow and see it looks like. This just pisses me off......I hate doing things twice. :mad:
david

Post by david »

If a bearing is starting to seize, it wont rev up either.
'81 KDX 175
'90 KDX 200
'07 Vulcan 2000 Classic LT (totaled 4/25/15)
'82 Honda GL500 (sold)
'96 ZXi 1100 JetSki
'98 STX 1100 JetSki
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

engine failure???

Post by ohgood »

commanderjjones wrote:So my 220 hasn't been 100% since I bought it a couple of months ago. The top end had been rebuilt right before I bought it, and I verified compression at 150. After checking EVERY possible thing that I could and tried to re-jet it, I was left with the assumption that the KIPS might be clogged up. I tore the top end down Saturday, cleaned the KIPS, and also replaced a leaking pump seal while I was at it. The KIPS was dirty, but not horrible.....not enough to be the problem. I got a gasket kit from Cometic, but unfortunately they sent a head gasket for an oversize (70mm) piston. Wasn't sure if it would be okay to run it, so I re-used the old head gasket.........yeah, I know :oops: .

So I started it and let it warm. Rode it up and down the street a couple times, but it's still smoking heavily and falling on it's face HARD........almost like it's hitting a rev limiter. If I pin the throttle for about 2 or 3 seconds, it will eventually rev out of it. Well, after 4 or 5 times of pinning it and "cleaning it out", she let out a loud SQUEAL :shock: . Yeah, pretty sure the head gasket just went :roll: . Not a biggie since I have a new one on the way, but it was damn sure unnerving. Anyone know if it would hurt to run the 70mm gasket with the 69mm piston? About the only thing I think it would do is lower the compression a very small amount.....not enough to matter. Any thoughts on this?

Back to the engine problem.............About the only thing I haven't checked is the coil.....because I really don't know how and don't think my multi-meter will measure that high. Same thing on the plug wire. I mean it LOOKS okay, but that doesn't mean squat. Any advice there? I hate to keep throwing parts at it.

that sounds like a cold piston seize. or something (kips pin maybe?) just found a place next to the clutch basket to grind on.
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

engine failure???

Post by Dekon »

Not to sound like an ass, but per your other post, did you coolant back in it?
commanderjjones

david wrote:If a bearing is starting to seize, it wont rev up either.
Yeah, that thought had crossed my mind.
commanderjjones

engine failure???

Dekon wrote:Not to sound like an ass, but per your other post, did you coolant back in it?
Yes, I filled it with coolant and tranny fluid......and lubed everything with 2T during reassembly.

I've pretty much made up my mind that I'm gonna tear it completely down (split the cases) before I have a (more) catastrophic failure.
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

engine failure???

Post by ohgood »

I've had three cases apart in the last month, the transmission was fine on all three. I doubt you need anything on that end of the cases.

the issue is almost always the cylinder/then followed by the crank areas.

a squeal makes me thing kips pin, cold seizer, or maybe trash in a bearing.

pull it apart and give the offending issue, fix it go ride.

no need in replacing everything, unless you just want to.

if you want to you can take reach bearing and bushing to motion industries and get the bearings/bushings you need.
commanderjjones

engine failure???

ohgood wrote:......if you want to you can take reach bearing and bushing to motion industries and get the bearings/bushings you need.
I had considered that but I live in the sticks and the nearest one is about 75 miles. I'd really like to have everything in hand and ready to install once I split it open. The only thing I'll sub' out is the crank/rod pressing, and luckily I have a guy up the street from my shop that specializes in that.