Air box lid

Got questions? We got answers....
tr7dan

Air box lid

Post by tr7dan »

Hi

could anyone tell me :

a. should the air box lid have some kind of fastening device to hold it in position ? Mine is a good fit with the correct gasket but it just rests on the top of the air box, it's not loose exactly but it doesn't 'snap' or 'click' into position.

b. what is the gold coloured resistor thingy next to the ignition cdi on top of the air box lid ? It doesn't look oem to me so what might it be for ?

thanks

Dan
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Air box lid

Post by John_S »

The lid just sits exactly like you have it with no fasteners or click into place. That gold piece next to the CDI is not factory. I've never seen anything like that before.
chkdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by chkdx »

That gold thing is a resistor, no idea why it's there.
MaverickAus
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by MaverickAus »

Does it have LED indicators or any other non standard electricals?
tr7dan

Post by tr7dan »

.... well, after a bit of head scratching I think I know why the resistor has been fitted -

There is a stoplight switch connected to the rear brake pedal however, there is only a single filament bulb fitted in the rear light and only two wires supplying the light (ground and power) ??

It looks as if someone has taken the supply to the rear light through the resistor, as it is very dim (but, hey, it's working) and then they have added a bypass wire, which cuts out the resistor but is interrupted by the brake light switch. The result is a dim back light that goes quite bright when the brake pedal is pressed - hey presto, a stoplight !

Innovative !

Dan
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

that's a pretty smart setup. i have a two element (well, not really an element) LED tail light on mine, and used the switch (mechanical) to set the brightness of the led similarly. it works very well, for a dirty light with mud all over it. most importantly, it is street legal and makes my tagged kdx a breeze to ride though traffic :-) without worry :-)
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

The lid just kind of sets there.

It will be fine unless you ride with no seat. :grin:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128