Broken Fork flange thing

Got questions? We got answers....
BamBam
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Broken Fork flange thing

Post by BamBam »

Hey guys - has anyone ever seen this before? Came back from riding and I see the flange thing that holds the front brake cable has broken off (not sure if due to a fall on left side). How would I fix something like this? Can it be welded? Too much force involved for JB Weld I presume??

K50X200
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Broken Fork flange thing

Post by K50X200 »

I think I would grind the existing flange back to the edge of the holes, drill and tap it for a new bracket, and then make a new bracket out of piece of steel...
"00 KDX200 - Baja Designs D/S Kit, '03 KLX300 Forks, KB5 Suspension Mods, Keihn 35 ASQV, Boyesen Rad Valve, Gnarly Woods Pipe
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Broken Fork flange thing

Post by pumpguy »

Not sure if there's enough material to drill new holes. You may have to make up a clamp that goes around the fork slider and holds the brake line in place.

This isn't like a cable holder that has to support all the lever forces. This just holds the hydraulic brake line in place.

You might want to look into replacing the whole slider. With folks converting to USD forks, it shouldn't be too difficult to find a whole replacement.
BamBam
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by BamBam »

What material is the slider made out of? Can it be welded?
cornishwrecker220

Broken Fork flange thing

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

You should be able to use a liquid metal compound to stick it back together ( JB weld or even epoxy resin ).
Just make sure the area you are sticking is clean ... Spray the area with brake cleaner to get rid of any grease etc then mix up some weld & stick the broken piece together , you may need to use some duck tape to ensure the part doesn't move whilst it's sticking...... Leave over night before you remove the tape.....sand down any excessive JB & you should be good to go.
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

this is one of the things I would replace with two drilled holes, and zip ties criss crossed around the brake line, through the drilled holes.

kind of like how you want zip ties at the bottom of your radiator shrouds instead of volts.... so that WHEN something hits it hard enough to break something, it's just a couple of zip ties to get going again