50/50 tires recomendations

Got questions? We got answers....
two-stroke-brit
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by two-stroke-brit »

Hi all , just looking for a few pointers .
considering getting a spare set of wheels for my 2000 kdx200.
to mount more road bias tires for putting around on (and to save the knobbys).
sort of 50/50 road/dirt like you see fitted to dual sports.
ALL help is welcome thanks Mark
She might not be pretty but always a fun ride !
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: 50/50 tires recomendations

Post by bufftester »

Up here in the PNW the hot setup is a Pirelli MT43 Trials tire...DOT legal and grip for days. Not sure how one would work down your way though. Shinko makes a couple big block designs that look like they might fit the bill, the adventure bike guys I know are particularly enamored with Shinko 705s.
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by thirdgenlxi »

I had good luck with the Kenda K270 DS tires..... Prob a little more street oriented but still do pretty good offroad too. I think they're still considered a 50/50 tire if I remember right.... Pretty cheap too
cornishwrecker220

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

Check out the range of Trail tyres from Mitas, good wearing tyre with a nice style knobbly pattern tread ....they also do a " Trials" knobbly style tyre also.
two-stroke-brit
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by two-stroke-brit »

Thanks all.
some good leads there.
have to move house next weekend so after that i will get some spare wheels and "have at it".
cheers Mark
She might not be pretty but always a fun ride !
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

shinko 241. great grip, dot, smooth running, long wearing, and super easy to install
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Western NC, and I rock the MT43 trials as well. With the pressure bumped up it does very well on road, down to 6/8 lbs and it's a beast on the trails.
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by thirdgenlxi »

Julien D wrote:Western NC, and I rock the MT43 trials as well. With the pressure bumped up it does very well on road, down to 6/8 lbs and it's a beast on the trails.
When are you gonna come ride with us sometime? I live right down the road from you ya know, hahah.... well down the mountain I guess :lol: :lol:
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by B737driver »

I'm running the Kenda Trakmaster II on my TX street legal KDX. DOT, but just barely. Hooks up well on the trails.....the street, not so much. On wet pavement gets a little dicey.
Live to Fly
Fly to Live
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

thirdgenlxi wrote:
Julien D wrote:Western NC, and I rock the MT43 trials as well. With the pressure bumped up it does very well on road, down to 6/8 lbs and it's a beast on the trails.
When are you gonna come ride with us sometime? I live right down the road from you ya know, hahah.... well down the mountain I guess :lol: :lol:

I really need to. I haven't even gotten the bike out yet this year other than to run it around the yard a bit. Work has been too crazy.
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by thirdgenlxi »

Julien D wrote:
thirdgenlxi wrote:

I really need to. I haven't even gotten the bike out yet this year other than to run it around the yard a bit. Work has been too crazy.
Ahhhh man, gotta take a break once in awhile! haha :grin: We usually go to either brown or brushy pretty much every weekend.... come on out sometime
ronjac

Post by ronjac »

I'm very pleased with Dunlop D606. Bought them because of the good reviews I saw online and I got a nice offer from 4WO|Motorcycle & Truck Accessories. These off-road tires work great on pavement also, but they seem to wear a bit fast.
commanderjjones

Post by commanderjjones »

Another vote for the MT43. I was a little skeptical of how well it would perform in muddy conditions, but after running it for a few rides I've been SUPER impressed on how well it handles ALL conditions and won't bother sticking a knobby back on mine again.