I have a GREAT idea... Maybe?

Got questions? We got answers....
Donovan401

I have a GREAT idea... Maybe?

Post by Donovan401 »

To get started this has to do with plastidip. I did my tires about a year ago and they held up for really long,(im an average trail rider for the most part((water and heavy mud included))) but the plastidip held up for really long with 0 problems. Recently they started to look like sh!t. I want to do them again but I was thinking of clear coat over the plastidip. I read that numerous post on other sites about it but I wanted to get some opinions. An btw I do not plan on removing the paint anyway because I heard the clear coat can make it almost impossible to get off, but thats actully better in my position. Also i wanted to add the clear coat because I sink my bike in wd40 and I know that had a huge effect on destroying the plastidip aswell. Also the plastipdip company sells clear coat at my local autozone so I can grab the tire paint and clear cost at the same time.
IceCold4x4

Re: I have a GREAT idea... Maybe?

Post by IceCold4x4 »

Are you referring to the rubber tires or the metal wheels

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
1997 KDX 200 - FMF pipe and silencer and I have no clue what else yet.
2000 ZRX1100 - 1109 big bore, ZX11 carbs / cams/ double valve springs / igntion box / Kerker exhaust. It's Mad Max black and fast but rarely clean
2006 Volvo XC90 V8 - The toy hauler and sleeper. 300hp and AWD in a soccer mom SUV.
Donovan401

Post by Donovan401 »

The metal wheels aka the Rim
Ed5786

Post by Ed5786 »

Have you had to do a tire change yet? If so did the tire spoons gouge up the plastidip? And did you do spokes and hubs? I did the wheels on my truck 3 years ago and have to touch them up after tire changes. Thought about doing the bike but really didn't think it would hold up.
1998 KDX200
Fmf gnarly woods
Boyesen reeds
13/49 gearing
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

In my opinion, Plasti-dip is no where near durable enough to be used on off road dirt bike rims. I had it on truck wheels for a couple months and peeled it off once it started looking crappy.

Plasti-dip is not meant to be a permanent coating. The heavier you apply it, the more it becomes like a sheet. Its hard to explain what I mean, but the thicker it is applied, the easier it comes off because it stays in one piece when you are pulling it off. So when one small portion of the coating fails, the coating is going to start coming off of the whole wheel.

Anodizing or powder coating are the best economical methods for coating your rims. And even those can be damaged somewhat easily in rough riding conditions. Those will actually hold up over time. If one small portion of those coatings fail, it won't spread as quickly to the rest of the wheel.

I mean, I understand the want to have black rims and not want to spend a lot of money on it. I have shot my quad rims with black plasti-dip for a cool look when going away to ride at festivals or whatever, but it never lasts longer than that weekend for me. It starts coming off all over and I just pull it off. Basically, all I'm trying to say, is its not a very good long term solution and I would not recommend it.
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

How hard is it to touch up PD? I saw a video on the best way to apply it to plastics on your dirtbike. He said step one was optional - shake can. Step two - throw it away. Then he showed how it didn't hold up at all on his fairings.
I still want to clear coat my truck.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk