tie down questions

Got questions? We got answers....
bws2
Gold Member
Gold Member

tie down questions

Post by bws2 »

I've got an '01 KDX200 that I haul around in an '07 Toyota Tacoma.

My questions is on tie downs. Right now, I use two tie downs that extend between soft ties on the handle bars
and attach to anchor hooks down in the front corners the truck bed.

This works well, but I have to run it without the tailgate closed to get the the bike to fit.
So these two tie downs are the only things holding the bike to the truck.

Should I be using more than just two tie downs?

Also, do tie downs need to be replaced at certain intervals. The tie downs
I have are the Ancra ratcheting ones.
MaverickAus
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: tie down questions

Post by MaverickAus »

I have never had a properly secured tie down let go. I don't know what ancra ratcheting are.
This is the type of tie down I use
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Easy fix...

Release tension on straps and unload bike onto ground...
Remove straps and ramps from truck...
Place ramps and straps on Ford F-150 long bed...
Roll KDX up ramps.

Problem solved. :bravo: :razz:

bed extender??

one additional tie down in the back across the knobs to help press it forward?
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Some of my friends put their bikes diagonally in their beds and anchor to the opposite corners of the bed. I put mine straight in with the gate down on my truck, doesn't bother me, I can usually block stuff from falling out of the truck in one way or another.

Two straps is all that I have ever used to hold mine down. I see people strap the front and back down, but I can't say I agree. The bike has suspension, it can bounce up and down a little back there.

Also, you may like these... i have them mounted on the lower triples on both of my bikes and love em:
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

I've got a hitch carrier that I sometimes use (Tacoma went byebye), and on rougher roads have had the rear wheel bounce out when the front had the standard 2 straps securing it.
I now tie down the rear wheel most times, pulling the bike backwards. Might not ever matter on a truck, but also can help prevent the rear of the bike from walking sideways.

Tyl3r those rings are genius!
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Move your bike so it isn't in the center of the bed. After you tie the front down, kick the rear over to the side enough to close the tailgate.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Yea, come to think of it, I guess I have had the back of bike move over to the side when driving through rough stuff. Tying the back may not be that bad of an idea in cases where that is possible. For a 30 minute drive up the highway to unload in a parking lot, I don't think it is necessary.
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

tie down questions

Post by ohgood »

bws2 wrote:I've got an '01 KDX200 that I haul around in an '07 Toyota Tacoma.

My questions is on tie downs. Right now, I use two tie downs that extend between soft ties on the handle bars
and attach to anchor hooks down in the front corners the truck bed.

This works well, but I have to run it without the tailgate closed to get the the bike to fit.
So these two tie downs are the only things holding the bike to the truck.

Should I be using more than just two tie downs?

Also, do tie downs need to be replaced at certain intervals. The tie downs
I have are the Ancra ratcheting ones.
park it diagonally in the bed, then use the far left front / right rear (or opposite) corners for the tie down straps. the bike will roll maybe a couple inches as you drive, but it increases the tension on the tie downs when it does. i stopped using the hooks and started threading the open end of the strap through the tie downs, letting hte hook be the stopping point for the strap, at the bed. this way no matter how much the suspension is compressed the hook can't fall off ;-)

everyone always wants their bikes tied down like it's a mount point for a bulldozer on a flatbed... i'm like "let it roll"

also, don't put the kickstand down, it will beat a hole in your bed or break it off over time
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Does your truck have enough room to move the rear to the side and close the tailgate? (if the front end is mounted in the center or off to one side)
bws2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bws2 »

Jason wrote:Does your truck have enough room to move the rear to the side and close the tailgate? (if the front end is mounted in the center or off to one side)
Thanks Jason. It has a 6 foot bed on it, so I think it would have room to get it in there sideways. I've just never tried it that way.
TeamDoty
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

tie down questions

Post by TeamDoty »

I put E-Track across the front of the bed on my truck and then fabricated some chocks onto basic E-Track clips. I can clip the chock in where I need it and then I used 1 E-Track ratchet strap across the top of the tire just behind the forks. This keeps the tire pulled tight into the chock and doesn't compress the forks. So this is somewhat similar to the CCR Sports type dirt bike bed rack.

Some, including me, have had fork seals fail when compressing the forks during transport.

I also then run a basic cam-buckle pull straps from each side of the rear frame to the bed sides to reduce side to side movement but allowing some vertical movement with the rear suspension.

With the E-Track set up I can clip in other chocks and carry 3 bikes. I even put an E-Track clip onto my ATV winch I use as an assist when running the bikes up and down the ramps - this allows the winch to attach anywhere I want it for a good cable angle.

When the ride is done the winch, chocks and ratchets all unclip easy and store away in the garage.

If anyone is interested in that set up let me know and I can post some pics.
knottyrope

Post by knottyrope »

I have used two straps for many years with out issue, I get the ones that support 600 or more lbs

the rear tire will slide at times but I have ties it with the square bed latch before or wedge stuff so it cant move

hit some huge frost heaves on the kangamangus in NH years ago and my 99 Toy 4x4 got air on some of them any my XT350 never fell off and it was heavier than the KDX
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

I saw upwards of 8 dirtbikes parked diagonally beside each other on a trailer carried across rough terrain, and they did great.

I don't know how he accomplished that.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

bws2 wrote:
Jason wrote:Does your truck have enough room to move the rear to the side and close the tailgate? (if the front end is mounted in the center or off to one side)
Thanks Jason. It has a 6 foot bed on it, so I think it would have room to get it in there sideways. I've just never tried it that way.
I have a 6' bed (Tundra) and that's the way I do it. Front tire up into the right front corner and once you swing the back end around where the rear tire is resting against the left bed side the bike will pretty much stand there on its own while you grab your straps. I use the left front and right rear tie down locations and strap the handlebars down. You don't need to crank it down too hard because its wedged in there.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

tie down questions

Post by SS109 »

I have a Dodge Dakota which has the short bed. I use two ratcheting tie downs with the bike centered in the bed. In all my years of riding I have never had an issue with one of my bikes coming loose and that is going down some very rough dirt roads. Yes, the rear tire of the bike can bounce around but it isn't a problem. If you tied it down tight enough the front will not move and the bike will not come loose.

As for when to replace them, when the webbing starts to become frayed it is time to replace them. My current HD ratcheting set are over 4 years old and they live in the bed of the truck (such a pain to get loose from the Dakota's anchor points) through the extreme sun and rain and are just now nearing replacement.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

If possible, check on the carabiner ended tie downs. (however you spell it) I finally had enough of my Ancra tie downs having the little hook come undone when trying to install the tie downs that I boght some Matrix M1 Phatty tie downs with the carabiner end, SO nice to not hvae to fool with that hook at the attachment points anymore! :cool:
spartanskiy

Post by spartanskiy »

My dad would get a ramp and a pickle bucket, run the bike up and jump on the pickle bucket, and walk the bike up there. Then again it was just 1 bike in a small ford truck.
2003 KDX 220r

1997 KDX 220 (my dad's)

Place I ride: Roberts Track and Trail, Saluda, Virginia.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

What is a pickle bucket??
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Jason wrote:What is a pickle bucket??
shot in the dark guess, but....

6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Jason wrote:What is a pickle bucket??
That is a bucket that pickles come in, usually at fast food restaurants. Basically a food grade 5 or 6 gallon bucket.....

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type