engine ICE question

Got questions? We got answers....
commanderjjones

engine ICE question

Post by commanderjjones »

I bought my youngest daughter an '08 KX100 last weekend. While giving it a thorough going over, I noticed that it has blue coolant.......which I assume is Engine Ice (etc....). I know there are a few different brands out there. Unfortunately, the kid that I bought it from couldn't tell me exactly what his uncle had put in there.

I know some guys swear by that stuff, but I'm kinda old school and (knock on wood) have never had any cooling issues in 40 years of running the regular old green stuff. So I prefer to just change it out, but I've heard horror stories about the possibility of gelling when mixing coolants. I hate asking dumb questions, but I'm just not familiar with these newfangled coolants.

How thoroughly should I flush the system before putting the green stuff back in it? My plan was to drain it, fill it with water and bring the engine up to temp, drain it again, then refill with green coolant. Sufficient, or should I do something more???
cornishwrecker220

engine ICE question

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

Engine ice is great if you're running a 4 stroke ( that get really hot ) but it's overkill on a 2 stroke & very expensive ...
I believe you can mix all modern coolants that are bike specific as they all contain inhibitors that are kind to alloy & waterpump seals etc... I would change out the old coolant & fill up with distilled water/ionised only then run the bike for 5 or 10 minutes ( don't get it too hot ) then drain & fill up with a bike coolant of your choice , maxima,silkolene,putoline just a few to choose from.
cornishwrecker220

engine ICE question

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

Sorry I ment to say deionised water ( distilled)
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: engine ICE question

Post by KDXGarage »

If you are set on changing it, I would suggest draining and refilling with distilled water, then run it for a while, then drain and put your 50 / 50 of distilled water and normal coolant.

DO NOT put tap water in a dirt bike, please. :mrgreen:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

engine ICE question

Post by SS109 »

Mixing different types of coolant is bad so a proper flush is important. How to flush from Engine Ice's own website...
1. Mix the water/vinegar at 50/50.
2. Fill system with the solution.
3. Run engine until warm.
4. Let cool.
5. Drain.
6. Run clear water through to rinse out vinegar.
7. Fill with coolant of choice.
As for Engine Ice, meh, I'm not a fan. It's too expensive and I've not had a problem using old school green coolant here in AZ even in the summer.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R