Plastics interchangeability

Got questions? We got answers....
tr7dan

Plastics interchangeability

Post by tr7dan »

Hi

I just bought this '99 KDX220R...

....could anybody tell me if replacement plastics for the '99 KDX200 will fit ?

I am thinking that the frame and cycle parts are pretty much the same on both models ?

cheers

Dan
Willbilly

Re: Plastics interchangeability

Post by Willbilly »

Have you checked kawasakis parts diagrams and cross referenced the part #s between the two?
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to the forums.

Plastic fit (and almost every other part fitment) will be the same for 1995 - 2006, including both KDX200 and KDX220R.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Before you worry about plastics, pull the head off and confirm that there is not an OEM cast piston in there. They are known to fail and its a major headache. Search around on here, it is well documented.

Nice lookin ride btw :supz: super clean!
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
tr7dan

Post by tr7dan »

Tyl3r wrote:Before you worry about plastics, pull the head off and confirm that there is not an OEM cast piston in there. They are known to fail and its a major headache. Search around on here, it is well documented.

Nice lookin ride btw :supz: super clean!
Thanks for the replies, all.

Yeah, I'm on it with the Wiseco top end rebuild kit.

Other items that need attention - new spark plug, change trans oil, change coolant, new front sprocket, replace cracked rear fender, replace handguards, replace air filter, replace clutch lever and generally check everything else.

It's not done a lot of work considering it's 1999 and it hasn't been restored. Apart from a bit of touching up on the frame it appears to be original. All the fasteners and bolts are clean and oem and, to be honest, half of them don't appear to have had a spanner on them. I know this can be a bad thing as well as good as maintenance dictates that this thing should be taken to pieces every so often but at least if it hasn't been touched then it's survived the usual ham-fisted p.o. butchery that sometimes occurs.

Mileage is low (1200)

A few more pics..
claybo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by claybo »

That's a slick bike! What plastics are you replacing? I have the exact bike and may be interested in purchasing the old ones if you would be willing.
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

Nice looking bike for sure!! Congratulations. In the next to last picture theres a tube that's copper looking that runs behind the kickstart and the clutch cover. Just curious what that is.
tr7dan

Post by tr7dan »

claybo wrote:That's a slick bike! What plastics are you replacing? I have the exact bike and may be interested in purchasing the old ones if you would be willing.
I'm replacing the rear fender which has a split in it near the rear light, the handguards and fiting UFO frame protectors. I'll probably hang on to the old plastics as they are the originals but to be honest they're a bit scuffed and new stuff is quite cheap anyway
John_S wrote:Nice looking bike for sure!! Congratulations. In the next to last picture theres a tube that's copper looking that runs behind the kickstart and the clutch cover. Just curious what that is.
Cheers John, it's just a thin plastic sleeve over the stoplight switch wire.