Sumo rims for stock hubs?

Got questions? We got answers....
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

I got me a set of hubs from an H-series with the plans of building a supermoto wheel set for the dual sport (have a street set and dirt set of wheels). Now, I know I want to go with 17" rims front and rear, and I know that there are suggested widths for the front and rear. But what I do not know, is what rims can I buy that can be laced to these stock hubs? And then the next question is, where do I get the spokes?

My original plan was going to be call Buchannon spokes and see what they suggested to do. I wanted to check on here first to see if anyone else has been in this scenario before? I know that I have the option of buying a brand new set of Warp 9's or something...but I'd really much rather build them up myself and powder coat everything the way I want it.

Any thoughts? :hmm:
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Sumo rims for stock hubs?

Post by 6 Riders »

Any 36 hole rim will work, get the spokes at the same place.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by thirdgenlxi »

Yeeeessss!! :supz: :grin: hahah

Moto-X Industries (where I got my sumo wheels from.... already made though) sells just the rims as well.... they have the Warp 9's (what I have) and Excel. The Excel are a little more expensive. As far as I know both can be used with stock hubs, though I have heard sometimes at least with the Warp 9 spokes that you have to drill the holes in the hubs just a tiny bit bigger. You may want to give Moto-X a call and talk to them.... they know their stuff. If you went with the Excel wheels I do know Excel sells a spoke kit for the KDX hubs, so that should work as well. For size you'll want a 17x3.50" for the front and a 17x4.25" for the rear. Anything bigger on the rear and it'll rub the chain (I get just a tiny little bit of chain rub on the side of my tire as is)

https://motoxindustries.com/supermoto-rims
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by thirdgenlxi »

Actually scratch that on the Excel spokes.... they are for the KDX but for the 18/21" wheels, I forgot not for 17's, lol. I believe Buchannon can custom make them though
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

You can always cut down and thread your own set of spokes. My stock rims/hubs have been drilled out for thicker spokes. All the spokes where custom cut and treaded, then shrink wrapped. Came out pretty slick looking.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Just an FYI, I did not have to enlarge the spoke holes on the hub when I built my wheels using Warp9 spokes.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Ok, nice. Thanks guys! Lots of great info. I took a look at the moto X industries website, may just go with Warp 9's rims and their spokes. I see that they have a front spoke kit, and a rear. Seems like the spoke lengths could change, depending on what hub you use though... are they really universal? I looked on Pro Wheel Racing's website and it looks like they have different kits per bike manufacturer. Pro Wheel has their own rims too, but they cost as much as Excel's. Might have to get rims from Moto X industries, and spoke kits from Pro Wheel. I know that Pro Wheel can do different colored nipples and black spokes...which is something I'd like.
seniorsehas
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by seniorsehas »

I laced Warp 9 hubs up using my stock hubs. I do not know if the universal spokes will work but I do know that if you contact Buchanan's they will be happy to send you what you need. Really simple process. https://www.buchananspokes.com/

This is the video I followed.

I got them close and then "trued" them on the bike with a clamp and a pencil. I'm not the best mechanic but was able to do this well. It was a satisfying process once I was finished.

If you need any advice let me know.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

seniorsehas wrote:I laced Warp 9 hubs up using my stock hubs
That's what I needed to hear! Thank you. I have dealt with Buchannon's before, I was planning on doing so again. I've build a few sets of wheels over the past 2 years, went ahead and bought me an actual stand now. Sure makes it nice! and I agree, definitely satisfying!

When building this set, I was thinking about getting them trued down to like .015" or .020" runout in both directions, then take to a shop and have them bring them in more. I've heard that you have to get .005" runout in both directions for street bike wheels, is that true? I know the spec on dirt bike wheels is about .040" for new wheels, but .015 or .020 is easily attainable. Much more than that...it get tedious.
seniorsehas
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by seniorsehas »

I got mine within .05 "ish". The rest of the bike has way less of a tolerance than that. I race it at a big go kart track and goon around the city a bit. It does pretty good for what it is with the Warp 9 rims. If you want your rims to end up perfect I don't think the Warp 9's will do it. Their tolerances aren't the best but their price is awesome for what I'm doing with it. If you've laced up wheels before you'll be just fine. I actually enjoyed the hell out of it. Having a stand instead of clamping a pencil to the forks would definitely be a big plus! Keep us updated when you do it.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Sounds good, thanks for that info. There is a large go track not far from me that lets the sumos do track days too. Definitely plan on trying that out. I have some buddies that do track days on the big bikes and they all absolutely love it. A couple of them don't even ride on the street anymore because of how much better they like it.

I'll definitely post an update as soon as I get somewhere. I was all ready to pull the trigger on the rims and spokes, but unfortunately, I had to deal with some other crap that ended up needing those funds. As soon as I save a few more bucks, I'll pull the trigger.

I am thinking candy purple hubs and rims with black spokes and nipples. I think it should turn out pretty cool. Going with a bit of a green/purple theme on this one.