Street legal kdx

Got questions? We got answers....
Dbzkdx

Street legal kdx

Post by Dbzkdx »

So I've registered my bike out of state and now all I have to do is goto my dmv and swap the plate for a local one. Now my only problem I'm skeptical on is the mounting of the plate. Any ideas or suggestions on how to go about this and for it to not be in the way of the sag, keep in mind this is going to still be a trail bike. I just got sick of the trailering part haha.
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Street legal kdx

Post by thirdgenlxi »

I have the Baja Designs LED brake light and fender (it mounts underneath the stock fender, though mind you I have the Maier MX rear fender... not sure it would work with stock). But it has a tag mount right under the light..... even has a light and everything for the plate. There's several others (Tusk, Sicass, etc) that are identical lights. If you still have the stock fender there's other lights you can put on that have tag mounts as well, they just don't mount as cleanly or flush. I have seen some people just bend the tag around the rear fender and put some screws in through the plastic.... that's a little sketchy though

Here's a pic of mine

pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Street legal kdx

Post by pumpguy »

Ended up making one from a piece of HDPE sheet, 1/4" thick. This stuff cuts like butter, and after cutting to shape, careful work with a heat gun resulted in around a 30 degree bend just above the plate.

Make a paper template first, so you have an idea of what you want to end up with.

I first cut the bottom part to match the plate, then the top part that fits under the fender. On the stock rear fender, and the UFO enduro fender, there's four 6 mm brass bosses for 6 mm bolts. Cut the top part to match this bolt pattern.
Then angle out to either side to blend the 2 widths.

Final work was with the heat gun to bend the holder down a bit so plate can be read.

Didn't have any of this material on hand, but found a suitable HDPE cutting board at local supermarket that was 1/2" thick. It was easy to mill down to 1/4" thick with a router or similar surface cutting tool.
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Street legal kdx

Post by s10gto »

I just used a acerbic enduro brake/tail light with a enduro engineering plate mount on top. Two screws to the fender and done.

http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 20#p160427
Dbzkdx

Street legal kdx

Post by Dbzkdx »

Thanks everyone for the help I appreciate it. I think I'll go all out and do the mx rear fender, I think it looks nice and more modernized and would fit the current style of my bike being that nearly everything is aftermarket already except my fenders. Once again thanks to everyone who gave me their suggestions, it was very helpful :grin:
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Street legal kdx

Post by ohgood »

s10gto wrote:I just used a acerbic enduro brake/tail light with a enduro engineering plate mount on top. Two screws to the fender and done.

http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 20#p160427
I did the same thing but with PVC pipe. Works great, supper flexible, $2
volkoff
Supporting Member

Re: Street legal kdx

Post by volkoff »

the TUSK tail light from rocky mountain atv is awesome. they are cheaper than baja and they freaking work. putting simple light circuits on dirt bikes TUSK makes it easy and reliable.