KDX 220 Top End Tear Down Assement help - Lots of Pictures!

Got questions? We got answers....
MaineKDX

Post by MaineKDX »

So I just got most of the tear down (still need to remove all of the KIPS) on my top end. Having NEVER done this before I thought I would throw up some picture and see what the hive has to say. Before I begin the re-assembly I would appreciate some insight from some more experienced mechanics.

On the upper right side does it look like any metal is missing or just part of casting?

To rich?

Looks Clean to me...?

What is causing the white oxidization? Planned to remove with an oiled brass brush. Then wipe with a little bel-ray assembly lube?

How do I get the KIPS shaft out of the way? I worked around it but the CYCLEPEDIA manual didnt discuss removing it and not sure where to look. I wont be able to torque the head back on without it.
Last edited by MaineKDX on 06:54 pm May 28 2017, edited 1 time in total.
MaineKDX

Post by MaineKDX »

Checked the connecting rod. Side to side play, which I understand is OK. Didnt feel any up and down play. I held the rod to the side to eliminate side to side play and tried to move up and down. Didnt feel anything before it started to move the crank.
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: KDX 220 Top End Tear Down Assement help - Lots of Pictur

Post by ohgood »

You can get to the cylinder nuts, and feel of one torqued nut to compare. Otherwise you have to remove the clutch side case cover.

Your piston, cylinder, and head look great. Just soak in pbblaster or kroil to remove carbon. You want to soak your power and sub valves also to remove their carbon.

Reassemble with 2t oil and make sure everything moves smoothly without resistance.

I would use a new piston/rings/wrist pin/bearing and circlips.

That cylinder really does look good.
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

Oh I meant to mention, when you reassemble the clutch side cover, be careful not to stress/break the kips pin that runs in the centrifugal section on that case. Easy does it !
javjacob

Post by javjacob »

I would get a Wiseco piston since that one looks like a stock piston which is cast aluminum and are notorious for coming apart.
2000 Kawasaki KDX220R
1996 Kawasaki KDX200
MaineKDX

Post by MaineKDX »

Thanks for the feedback. Have a complete wiseco top end kit ready to go in after cleaning sitting on my bench!
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

the white deposits are exactly what you expected, oxidation residue. Clean the studs thoroughly and be certain you have some antiseize on them when you reassemble. Studs are probably fine but check for metal loss due to corrosion. I agree about the cyl and head. Just clean them well. I also agree with the new Wiseco top end. I'd prefer to KNOW what's in there rather than take a chance.
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

doakley wrote:the white deposits are exactly what you expected, oxidation residue. Clean the studs thoroughly and be certain you have some antiseize on them when you reassemble. Studs are probably fine but check for metal loss due to corrosion. I agree about the cyl and head. Just clean them well. I also agree with the new Wiseco top end. I'd prefer to KNOW what's in there rather than take a chance.
Great advice. Use a green scotchbite pad to clean the bore and head. You need a Motion Pro torque wrench adapter to torque any of the cylinder bolts. You can still get to the tough one by the kips shaft with the right side cover in place. You need to tilt the wrench up just a bit. Its not fun but I've torqued that nut twice without removing the cover.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

And your bike is pig rich...that's why all the carbon on the piston and head.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

LOL! Agree with the "pig rich" comment! After you get the new top in broken in, follow the jetting guide and get that thing jetted properly.
MaineKDX

Post by MaineKDX »

So I just checked the carb and it was set up to match the FMF starting point.

MJ: 145
PJ: 42
Needle: R1173L
Clip: 3rd
Air Screw: 1.5 (May have been slightly higher but it was in that ballpark)

I know the previous owner ran 40:1 and BR9ES Plug. I plan on running Spectro Platinum SX2 at 32:1 with a BR8ES plug which should help lean the starting point a bit. Once I get it broken in ill start fiddling.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

MaineKDX wrote:Thanks for the feedback. Have a complete wiseco top end kit ready to go in after cleaning sitting on my bench!
Glad to see this! haha when I was scrolling thru the pictures just now, I wanted to comment "GRAB THAT PISTON, AND SLAM IT IN THE TRASH!"
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
MaineKDX

Post by MaineKDX »

My father in law who has a mint 2003 thought I was being foolish to redo the top end. He still has the stock one with no issue. Cheap insurance for me on a highly sought after and hard to find (in good condition) bike here in Maine.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

If he has an 03 220 that has the stock piston in it, then either it never gets rode, or maybe he is the lucky 1 in 10000 that got an oddball good cast piston lol
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike