Tubliss Users - Worth the cost?

Got questions? We got answers....
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

So the inevitable happened today on a beautiful morning ride with my son. About 4 miles out and the rear tire went completely flat. This is the first flat tire I've had on a ride in over 30 years, so I guess I was due. It was fine when we loaded last night, I can only guess that I pinch flatted since I had just dropped the rear pressure from 14 (which I ride at in the desert all the time and have never had a flat) to 10 since we were going to be up in the Capitol Forest with all of it's wonderful root infested trails. I was due for a new rear tire anyways, and I always run HD tubes with slime. My question is for anyone using the Tubliss system. How do you like it?, Worth the cost in your opinion? Downsides (other than cost of course lol)?
david

Re: Tubliss Users - Worth the cost?

Post by david »

One of the guys on our local riders FB page was just telling me the other day how much he loved his. I had to look them up because I didn't know what he was talking about. He posted a pic of his H series with the suspension completely stuffed and both tires were compressed to almost the rim (10psi in the tires coming off a big jump).
'81 KDX 175
'90 KDX 200
'07 Vulcan 2000 Classic LT (totaled 4/25/15)
'82 Honda GL500 (sold)
'96 ZXi 1100 JetSki
'98 STX 1100 JetSki
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Been running Tubliss since the Gen I version. Still have a Gen I on the front and the newer Gen II on the rear. Is it worth it? IMO yes. I have had zero problems. I love that I can get a flat but still ride at nearly race pace without the tire coming loose from the rim. I love the rim protection that you can't get with tubes unless running high pressure. I run anywhere from 11psi down to 0. Yes, zero psi! Installing them takes a slightly different approach but once you get it down it is way easier than dealing with a tube(s). Tire selection is a bit more critical as some don't work well with Tubliss. Use Slime or equivalent to help sealing and protect the Tubliss liner when running low pressure. I will never, ever, go back to tubes!

Tires I know that work well with Tubliss:
Maxxis SI, IT, Desert IT
Pirelli Scorpion MX Xtra X
Motoz Enduro IT
Sedona MX907HP
Goldentyre "Fatty" front, GT523KX "Gummy"
Dunlop MX51, 52, 32, AT81
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
KDX Rippa #36

Post by KDX Rippa #36 »

Wow 10 Psi is pretty hard I run my KDX at around 4-5 Psi with no tubliss I just run tire slime so if it pinches it will seal up before it leaks the air all out.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

I love the my tubliss, especially in our forests around here. I'm running my fav Washougal II on mine and haven't had any problems yet. I don't run super low psi in mine though. My psi range , depending on where I'm riding, is 5 to 12 psi.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
javjacob

Post by javjacob »

I like my tubliss so far. Went to this set up with my new tires early this year. I don't have a lot of ride time to really give a real review but so far no problems and it's nice being able to run low psi.
2000 Kawasaki KDX220R
1996 Kawasaki KDX200
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

And think, you don't have to buy tubes anymore....
Setting up the tubliss the first time is a bit of a time waister, but once the set up is on the rim, tire changes etc are super easy. Also, being able to plug a tire is nice as well. A good tire for the PNW and tubliss is the Trackmaster. 6 ply tire for $60 or so, can't beat that.

*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

6 Riders wrote:And think, you don't have to buy tubes anymore....
Setting up the tubliss the first time is a bit of a time waister, but once the set up is on the rim, tire changes etc are super easy. Also, being able to plug a tire is nice as well.
Yeah, that's two benefits that people don't really talk about enough. Tire changes are so easy that I now swap out tires just because I want to try something different. The tire plugs are so easy to carry versus a spare tube and you can be back riding in a quarter of the time of swapping out/patching a tube.
'11 GasGas EC250R
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

SS109, what's your tubliss set up for AZ? I'm seriously considering a permanent move down your way and am interested in what you've had good luck with.

SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

That would be awesome if you did! AZ is a great place to ride.

My setup is to ride everything from slow hike-a-bike terrain, tight and flowing singletrack, and B-level hair scrambles/enduros. My new favorite front is the Goldentyre "Fatty" 90-100 tire at 11psi. I get them for $80 and they are well worth the few extra dollars. I've never found any tire that hooks so well, soaks up rocks, and gets on top of deep sand so easy. It just makes riding easier. Still plan on experimenting with lower pressures with it but it's awesome already at 11psi. If I had to choose a different front it would be the Maxxis SI. They're really predictable, wear very well, and are easier to find online for $70-75. For the rear my favorite is the Goldentyre GT523KX at 11psi but I don't think it is going to last very long as it is one of the gummy tires. This thing just flat out sticks to anything! However, since it probably won't last long (maybe two races), and they are not cheap at about $125, I'll probably end up sticking with the Sedona MX907HP at 5psi on the rear. They wear like iron and probably grip 75% as well as the Goldentyre which is still really good and they are very cheap. If I had the money to burn I would run nothing but the GT523KX but I can buy two Sedonas for every one of the GT523KX's. So it comes down to $130 or probably over $750 a year between the two.
Last edited by SS109 on 09:01 pm May 29 2017, edited 1 time in total.
'11 GasGas EC250R
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Any problems with tubliss getting flats?

SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I've gotten punctures in the tires themselves but never a Tubliss failure. I will either ride it out on the flat and plug it back at the truck or plug it out on the trail. However, I started using Slime and haven't had a flat since.
'11 GasGas EC250R