2001 KDX 220R New Owner with Questions!

Got questions? We got answers....
MaineKDX

Post by MaineKDX »

Hello Everyone,

After 20 years off a dirt bike I got the itch again and wanted to work up to run some hare scrambles here in New England (NETRA). I have been hunting for a garage queen KDX and just found one two days ago. 2001 KDX 220 with original everything except for the tires and a couple hop ups! Original graphics with no cracked plastics and clean frame etc. (Will post “Before” pictures soon along with “after”)
After ensuring it ran I brought it home and started tearing into it.

Mods I am keeping from Purchase:
Moose Bark Busters & Deflectors
Pro Taper Bar & Pad
FMF Gnarly Woods Pipe
FMF Power Core 2 Silencer
Twin Air Filter(s)
(I have some OEM and aftermarket parts ill be putting up for sale shortly)

Items on Order:
Wiseco Top End Kit (Bought lifetime cyclepedia membership to help)
KX125 Number Plate
Maier MX Fender
Driven Open End Grips
Boyesen 607 Power Reeds
New Bolt Kit

Next week ill plan to do the top end, flush the cooling system and top up with engine ice and change the oil. Get her put back together and start getting back into the swing of things.

Few questions for the group if I may?

1) Which NGK spark plug should I pick up? I found people mention the NGK BR8ES? That still the go to?

2) I am new to carbureted bikes and was looking for suggestions on a jetting starting point?

New Wiseco Top End
New Boyesen 607 Reeds
FMF Gnarly Woods
FMF Power Core 2
Twin Air Filter
Air Box Cover removed
65f-90f
190’ above sea level

3) Best place to buy the above recommended jetting parts?

4) I know the previous owner modified the jets in the bike although unsure how close they are. How can I tell whats in it? Are they marked if I pull them out?

5) The seller gave me a jug of Spectro Platinum SX2 and recommended running it a 40:1 vs the 32:1 on the bottle. I see people often adjust the ratio, any issue with this for the spectro? Good product?
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: 2001 KDX 220R New Owner with Questions!

Post by Tyl3r »

1) That is the plug that I use.

2) For the jetting, I started ith FMF recomendations then went from there. Here are the FMF suggestions: http://www.fmfracing.com/content/instru ... 000342.pdf
and here is the jetting guide: http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 105&t=1156

3)www.jetrus.com for all carb parts

4)Once you pull the jet, the number should be stamped into the side of it. Beware if the jets do not have the Kehin logo stamped on them somewhere. I believe some aftermarket jets could use a different numbering system and you need to cross reference the size (or I could be getting this confused with my 400ex, someone to confirm/deny?)

5) The oil is all personal preference. When I used to run Maxima SuperM, I would run at 40:1. I currently am running the AMSOil Sabre at 80:1 (its designed for that). I use to use the Golden Spectro when I didn't know anything about the bike and that was the PO gave me also. I'm sure that oil will work perfectly fine. After you read around you will probably start to form your own opinion and choose the premix that you feel is best. Like I said, this is really personal preference. You will get a million different answers on whats best to run.
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
david

Post by david »

I think the main reason people run their mix ratio at 40:1 is because it's easy. 1/2 quart of oil to 5 gal of gas.
'81 KDX 175
'90 KDX 200
'07 Vulcan 2000 Classic LT (totaled 4/25/15)
'82 Honda GL500 (sold)
'96 ZXi 1100 JetSki
'98 STX 1100 JetSki
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

david wrote:I think the main reason people run their mix ratio at 40:1 is because it's easy. 1/2 quart of oil to 5 gal of gas.
And it's plenty of oil for a KDX...

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

Congrats on the new bike! What Tyler said is right on the money in my opinion and should have you well on your way with jetting. Don't go for ebay or ProX aftermarket jets.

Regarding the air box lid: I've jetted my 220 from rich to lean and then back to good. My bike runs noticeably better with the air box lid on and even runs great with the snorkel. Taking the air box lid off hurts throttle response down low on my bike and has me chasing the air screw and needle tuning, like its more sensitive to weather changes.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I noticed you have the FMF Powercore silencer. IIRC, with NETRA (and most racing organizations) you will either need to swap it out for one with a spark arrestor or use an add on unit. I strongly recommend against a screen add on as they clog constantly.

I run without the air box lid and my bike revs strong, isn't hard to jet, and has great throttle response. Maybe it's because of some of my mods? I don't know. My bike has RB head and carb, NGK BR8ES plug, cylinder ports cleaned up (not ported), complete air box lid removed, FMF desert pipe, turbine core silencer, Boyesen RAD valve, and Jaguar adjustable CDI.

Just for reference...
Altitude: 2000-4500
Jetting: 150m, 40p, CEK needle
Mix: 40:1 91 octane/Maxima 927
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

From what I've read so many times, "take the air box lid off" I'm sure my advice won't be popular regarding leaving it on and I'm not knocking it. Could just be my bike for whatever reason but its a pretty big wow factor just within 20 feet or so of taking off when I put the lid and snorkel back on even when it was jetted rich (weird).

Long story short, if your new bike came with the lid and snorkel, experiment with the three (no lid, lid, lid and snorkel) before tossing it on the shelf.

For reference my jetting is 40P, 1 1/2 out on the air screw, JD red needle 2nd clip, 152 main. Sea level with Florida heat and humidity.
Twin air filter, 35 air striker, VF3 reeds, RB head, FMF woods and powercore silencer.

Good luck on the project and I hope you end up really liking it. They're such great bikes!!
MaineKDX

Post by MaineKDX »

Hi Guys,

Thank you so much for all the replies!

1) Ordered a set of 4 plugs on amazon prime
2) Noted, ill take the carb apart and see how it lines up with FMF starting point.
3) On that website I assume the OEM / Cheaper parts are just fine?
5) Any good places online to buy oil or just go local?

In regards to the silencer from my research it appears NETRA only requires the exhaust to be 96db or less. Nothing metioned in the rules about a spark arrestor.
http://www.netra.org/wp-content/uploads ... lebook.pdf

Now I just need to find out the test requirements (distance, throttle etc.) and borrow a DB meter.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

MaineKDX wrote:In regards to the silencer from my research it appears NETRA only requires the exhaust to be 96db or less. Nothing metioned in the rules about a spark arrestor.
http://www.netra.org/wp-content/uploads ... lebook.pdf
Wow, I'm truly shocked. That is at least one less thing to worry about! I guess I've been dealing with Western organizations for too long. Every series out here requires it and to ride any public land it is also required.
'11 GasGas EC250R
MaineKDX

Post by MaineKDX »

So I lied on pipe haha. It's the turbine core 2 which is actually better in case spark arrestor thing comes up.

I think I may have lucked out on the pipe. Guy told me it was the woods pipe but the hanger is stamped 1307/020056 which is the Rev pipe as far as I can tell?
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Yes the 56 is the Dessert Pipe, 57 is the Woods pipe

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

MaineKDX wrote:So I lied on pipe haha. It's the turbine core 2 which is actually better in case spark arrestor thing comes up.

I think I may have lucked out on the pipe. Guy told me it was the woods pipe but the hanger is stamped 1307/020056 which is the Rev pipe as far as I can tell?
Then you got the best of both IMO. :supz:
'11 GasGas EC250R