2004 smoking hard

Got questions? We got answers....
hrchins

2004 smoking hard

Post by hrchins »

Hey guys, so I bought a 2004 kdx about 2 months ago and it was running great no smoke. The PO ran 40:1 so i am doing the same. A week ago i had the bike up on a stand, rather precariously, and it tipped off onto the concrete floor. After that, its been running real smokey. The bike blows blue smoke throughout the power band and big plumes when i let off the throttle. Air box is clean and clear, sprayed the outside of the carb down with carb clean and didn't die out so there are no leaks. Haven't opened up the carb yet to investigate. Thought I'd reach out for suggestions. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: 2004 smoking hard

Post by bufftester »

How much have you run it since it tipped over? Could be that a bunch of fuel got into the bottom end and you're burning off the excess oil.
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

2004 smoking hard

Post by thirdgenlxi »

Have you checked your trans fluid level? Has it gone down any?
hrchins

Post by hrchins »

It was about 2 weeks ago and ive ran it a number of times and for about 16 hours since.

Trans fluid doesn't appear to have gone down since. I've also changed it after about 8 hours and didnt find anything off with the old fluid

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk
cornishwrecker220

2004 smoking hard

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

2 strokes when running produce "blow back" ( unburnt fuel & oil ) through the back of the carb , this will pool in the intake boot between the carb & air filter ...the kdx boot has a small void that when the unburnt fuel evaporated the oil left behind, sometimes as much as a cap full or two will settle here .... If your bike has fallen over then chances are this oil has spilled into the rear of the carb....also any spilt fuel from when the bike was down May of ran out & onto your air filter.
It should burn off once the bike was warmed up & ridden around .... All 2 strokes smoke it's just the way they are but if it's really excessive & its performance is poor then something else maybe at work.

Fit a new spark plug & see if that helps.
Timtee

Post by Timtee »

hrchins wrote:It was about 2 weeks ago and ive ran it a number of times and for about 16 hours since.
With that many hours on it since it fell over, something else is going on. Unburnt oil anywhere in the intake or bottom end would have burned off by now.
david

Post by david »

I would be more concerned with the initial statement 'running great no smoke'. It's supposed to smoke
'81 KDX 175
'90 KDX 200
'07 Vulcan 2000 Classic LT (totaled 4/25/15)
'82 Honda GL500 (sold)
'96 ZXi 1100 JetSki
'98 STX 1100 JetSki
4Fords

Post by 4Fords »

Has it lost much power? I bought one that was running fine for the first week. Started smoking alot and didn't have the snap it had before. I tried several things like you. Eventually had to look at the Piston. It had fractured below the oiler hole on the side. The bottom rim fell off and was down in the crank. Both case halves needed to be replaced. I ended up buying a new motor... #Thatsucked!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk