Painting A Gas Tank?

Got questions? We got answers....
Donovan401

Painting A Gas Tank?

Post by Donovan401 »

Hey I already painted my gas tank 2 times in the past year. I simply just removed old paint, applied new paint and clear coat. But eventually it bubbles from the fumes penetrating the plastic surface. It takes a while for the bubbling to occur (about 2-3 months). I plan on painting it again for the summer, how would I go about this to making it last a little longer? Any suggestions? I thought about getting a cover for the gas tank but could not find any. (and buying a new gas tank is not in my budjet :sad: ) Thanks!
david

Re: Painting A Gas Tank?

Post by david »

Paint doesn't like to stick to plastic, and no spay paint will live if gas is spilled on it. I don't think fumes are getting through the plastic, the paint just isn't sticking to it.

Your other option is to wet sand and polish the plastic. Unless the plastic is just completely sun baked, this will make it look as good as it's going to get. It's labor intensive so the final product is a direct result of the effort put into it. Just don't start out with too course paper or you will have a hard time getting all the scratches out. I would say start with around 400 then go to 600, 1000, 2000, then a two stage polish.
'81 KDX 175
'90 KDX 200
'07 Vulcan 2000 Classic LT (totaled 4/25/15)
'82 Honda GL500 (sold)
'96 ZXi 1100 JetSki
'98 STX 1100 JetSki
K50X200
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by K50X200 »

Not sure what color you're wanting to end up with... and I have no personal knowledge of whether or not this works... but you could dye it........
https://www.youtube.com/v/O0s6E0y8O2g
"00 KDX200 - Baja Designs D/S Kit, '03 KLX300 Forks, KB5 Suspension Mods, Keihn 35 ASQV, Boyesen Rad Valve, Gnarly Woods Pipe
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

If you are dead set on painting it and want it to last longer, drain the fuel out of the tank (and carb) after every ride.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Painting A Gas Tank?

Post by pumpguy »

Curious what type and color paint are you using? There are paints specifically designed for plastics, but haven't tried any so can't offer any insight.
BamBam
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by BamBam »

I believe the gas vapor expands through the pores in the plastic, and paint will not work. I may try dye like in video above.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

david wrote:Your other option is to wet sand and polish the plastic. Unless the plastic is just completely sun baked, this will make it look as good as it's going to get. It's labor intensive so the final product is a direct result of the effort put into it. Just don't start out with too course paper or you will have a hard time getting all the scratches out. I would say start with around 400 then go to 600, 1000, 2000, then a two stage polish.
Good advice. Paint's never gonna look good. :naughty:
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

No paint is going to stick for long.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128