Pull handle for rear axle

Got questions? We got answers....
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

Has anyone found a rear axle pull handle that will fit an H series KDX 200?

Looked all around for one, or any bike using Kawasaki #41068-0014 axle, and came up empty.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Pull handle for rear axle

Post by bufftester »

Have not seen one for our bikes. My 95 RMX250 has on that is actually welded to the axle and works great. Might be able to go that route. I have one on my GSXR that mounts like a set of bar ends, but that requires a hollow axle.
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

Thanks for your reply. One of my other bikes has a handle as part of the original assembly.

I have been talking to the folks at Enduro Engineering. The information they offered was helpful, and sounds promising. I should have more to report in a week or so.
cornishwrecker220

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

Ballards mx make them but not sure if the size will fit the kdx ...its the same design as the enduro engineering item.

You could use a bar end from a road bike & weld a rod to it , but the Ballard item is only £15 so for that price it's hardly worth the trouble .
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I haven't ever been able to find one. Fabricating a weld on piece would be pretty easy though.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

Short report:
Enduro Engineering's pull handle #23-056 fits perfectly, or should IMO. This is offered for a long list of KTMs, including 2017 150 and 250 XCW, and many others that use KTM rear axle # 77310085044.

It weighs just 2 ounces and the price is $19.95 plus shipping.

Long report:
I tried contacting a number of suppliers that offer pull handles that looked like they might fit. With the exception of Chris at Enduro Engineering (517 393 2421), none would or could give me any dimension information.

Chris took one off the shelf to actually measure and provided me with a diameter of .4865". The Kawasaki axle #41068-0014 thats on my H series 200 has an ID of .490", so should be a natural fit. For the record, I found this axle is also used on:
'93 through '96 KLX 650
'94 through '96 KLX 250R
'95 through '06 KDX 200 H series
ALL KDX 220
'97 through '07 KLX 300R
'06-'07 KLX 250S

I say should fit, because the pull handle example I received had the outer piece that's threaded for an M6 draw bolt machined to a diameter of .487", was truly round and fit into the axle just fine. The other part of the handle that's supposed to fit into the axle wouldn't fit. It was out of round and had diameters measuring from .487" to 497".

To double check, I visited my local KTM dealer, and their parts guy was nice enough to let me measure a new KTM axle as listed above that he had in stock. It's inside diameter measured .490", and I had the same fit problem as with my Kawasaki axle.

I have made Enduro Engineering aware of this fit problem, so hopefully they will correct it before sending out any more. I have also made them aware this handle will fit the Kawasakis listed above.

In my case, I will machine the out of round part down so it fits into my axle. If I didn't have a lathe, I'm sure a few minutes work with a file would result in a satisfactory fit too.

Conclusion:
Enduro Engineering's # 23-056 pull handle will fit the rear axle of the Kawasaki bikes listed above. Just be aware that you may need to correct a dimension issue before it will fit properly.

Hope this helps someone else that wants a pull handle for a Kawasaki's rear axle.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Good info. I wish Kawi had the forethought to have fitted the swing arms with axle slots that went to the end of the swingarm and pins for retaining the axle. The KLX300s had that set up, as well as my RMX250. So easy to change/pull the tire and never have to pull the axle.
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Showing my ignorance here, but doesn't the H series use the rotating cam chain adjuster on either end of the axle? On my 220 the left side cam has been spot welded to the axle. When I rotate that cam to adjust chain tension it rotates the axle also. I just assumed it came from the factory this way. Makes for a nice pull handle anyway.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Nice info, and thanks for sharing! Now I have something else to add to the never ending to-do list haha
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
david

Post by david »

bufftester wrote:Good info. I wish Kawi had the forethought to have fitted the swing arms with axle slots that went to the end of the swingarm and pins for retaining the axle. The KLX300s had that set up, as well as my RMX250. So easy to change/pull the tire and never have to pull the axle.
They did on the E's
'81 KDX 175
'90 KDX 200
'07 Vulcan 2000 Classic LT (totaled 4/25/15)
'82 Honda GL500 (sold)
'96 ZXi 1100 JetSki
'98 STX 1100 JetSki
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

doakley wrote:Showing my ignorance here, but doesn't the H series use the rotating cam chain adjuster on either end of the axle? On my 220 the left side cam has been spot welded to the axle. When I rotate that cam to adjust chain tension it rotates the axle also. I just assumed it came from the factory this way. Makes for a nice pull handle anyway.
As the name implies, the pull handle is an aid to pulling out the axle when you need to remove the rear wheel. It lets you pull out the axle instead of having to knock it out from the brake side. It has nothing to do with chain adjustment.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

pumpguy wrote:As the name implies, the pull handle is an aid to pulling out the axle when you need to remove the rear wheel. It lets you pull out the axle instead of having to knock it out from the brake side. It has nothing to do with chain adjustment.
I think he is just saying that his chain adjuster is tack welded to the axle and works well as a pull handle. I have noticed the same thing with mine.
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

Tyl3r wrote:
pumpguy wrote:As the name implies, the pull handle is an aid to pulling out the axle when you need to remove the rear wheel. It lets you pull out the axle instead of having to knock it out from the brake side. It has nothing to do with chain adjustment.
I think he is just saying that his chain adjuster is tack welded to the axle and works well as a pull handle. I have noticed the same thing with mine.
Oh, I get it now. Sorry for not reading the whole post thoroughly. Never thought of grabbing the adjusting cam and using that as a pull handle. On my bike, the adjusting cams are loose parts. Thanks.
Last edited by pumpguy on 04:16 pm May 25 2017, edited 1 time in total.
david

Post by david »

I noticed on ebay, when looking for a rear axle, that some years the adjuster was welded (like mine) and some were loose.
'81 KDX 175
'90 KDX 200
'07 Vulcan 2000 Classic LT (totaled 4/25/15)
'82 Honda GL500 (sold)
'96 ZXi 1100 JetSki
'98 STX 1100 JetSki