Gasket sealant

Got questions? We got answers....
lucy
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Gasket sealant

Post by lucy »

When replacing gaskets, what sealant do you guys use? I'm specifically talking about water pump cover, reed block, and clutch cover.

I searched old topics and saw a couple guys use Loctite 518.

I want to get a good seal and be able to take the cover off in the future while saving the gasket.
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Gasket sealant

Post by John_S »

I put Maxima High Temp Waterproof Grease on every gasket except the head gasket and that's because that gasket isn't paper. I put it on so light that you can't really see it but just enough to change the color of the gasket. It makes future service really easy for the right side cover, clutch cover, or reeds, and it helps to seal.

If you want the gasket to stick to one side (like the clutch cover) and release from the other side (engine case) just grease the case side.

A mechanic friend taught me that and it works great. Just a dab on your finger is all you need.

Edit: That Maxima grease is just like wheel bearing grease from the auto parts store that comes in a little tub.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

John_S wrote:I put Maxima High Temp Waterproof Grease on every gasket except the head gasket and that's because that gasket isn't paper. I put it on so light that you can't really see it but just enough to change the color of the gasket. It makes future service really easy for the right side cover, clutch cover, or reeds, and it helps to seal.

If you want the gasket to stick to one side (like the clutch cover) and release from the other side (engine case) just grease the case side.

A mechanic friend taught me that and it works great. Just a dab on your finger is all you need.

Edit: That Maxima grease is just like wheel bearing grease from the auto parts store that comes in a little tub.
Same here except I use Bel-Ray waterproof grease. Works great and makes servicing a breeze.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Gasket sealant

Post by ohgood »

+1 to the responses about using grease on gaskets. When (not if) you have to pull a cover off, a greased gasket comes of easily without making a mess.

The only place I'll put gasket maker on the bike is between the case halves.
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

The grease also works great on the exhaust pipe to cylinder orings. There I use quite a bit of grease making sure it's coated well. Way better than high temp silicone and waiting 12 hours or whatever to start it. I want to kick it over as soon as the exhaust is back on :grin: