bent clamp,how to fix/

Got questions? We got answers....
nation

bent clamp,how to fix/

Post by nation »

im going through the bike and noticed that the handle bar on the right side is torqued back.further inspection showed that it was the bar clamp that was bent.now,i know i need to get a new clamp.should i get a set of aftermarket ones?if so who makes a set that will work or is a pretty universal thing or should i get with a salvage yard and get a used one?
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Are you sure it's bent, and not just squished out of alignment? The rubber mounts are notorious for making your bars look bent after a crash. To fix it, you just loosen the nuts under the top triple clamp, pull up and wiggle the bars around, get 'em straight again and retighten. Some guys replace the bar mounts clamp cones with denser material, or aluminum parts, but many don't like the extra vibration. Another option is to go to a one-piece top clamp, like the one on a KX. I have a similar thing that mounts my steering damper, and haven't had the problem. Of course, the damper makes me crash less too. :supz:
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

If you take the pedestal out and find it is indeed bent (CM is more than likely correct, though), why not just straighten it out?

Stick it in a vise and give it a nice hug!!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!