Where to buy parts and service manuals

Got questions? We got answers....
Anthony.Sims

Post by Anthony.Sims »

Hello All,
I am new to KDXs and I am having trouble finding parts.
I have a 1989 KDX 200. I have torn it completely down and plan on restoring it back to original as much as I possibly can.
I need all new plastics, including the gas tank. Replace all the hoses, cables etc. and I want to have the top and bottom end redone. I also want to replace the entire electrical, including the magneto, stator flywheel or whatever the hell it is called. The carb will need to be rebuilt or replaced.
I haven't worked on motorcycles much but I am very handy with a wrench. In fact, I do about 90% of my own work on my cars and truck. I checked with my local shop and they wanted $1000 to replace just the seals on the bottom end and do the top end. Seems a bit excessive since I only paid $200 for the whole motorcycle. They also didn't really want to fool with rebuilding the carb. I have allowed myself a budget of $1500.
So where do I buy parts for this thing? Internet search doesn't get me much. No plastics and no fuel tanks.
If I decided to tackle rebuilding the motor what parts and or kits do I need?
is there a shop that someone knows about that I can ship the motor to and have them rebuild it?
Keystone
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Where to buy parts and service manuals

Post by Keystone »

You might be better off selling that bike for parts and spending the $1500 on a decent running KDX200 that doesn't need anything. Unless you like working on bikes, because it's a labor of love.
Anthony.Sims

Post by Anthony.Sims »

I enjoy working on things. The bike ran before I started working on it I just want to do a full restore on one. Why? well no reason other than I want to do so. It's something I've wanted to do for a while and I finally found a motorcycle I could buy cheap and rebuild. I just don't know a whole lot about motorcycles. Especially the bottom end. So I will be learning as I go.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Ebay and Craigs list will be your best bet for parts. The 89-94s are all the same model, but some parts are getting scarce. First thing I would do is take the head off and see if you're going to need new subvalves. If that is the case then Keystones suggestion is the best one. You could eat up your budget in replacement engine parts pretty quick.
MaverickAus
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by MaverickAus »

Ride it into the ground, spend the $1500 on a KDX in better condition.
jstcraig
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by jstcraig »

Hi Anthony, I can't be of much help in your search but wish you the best of luck in your mechanical journey, there are a few sites around the globe that do plastics, the age might be an issue as I'am finding out, if I come across anything I will get back to you on this post. Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jstcraig
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by jstcraig »

Hey Anthony where are you located?

Anthony.Sims

Post by Anthony.Sims »

Thanks for the information. I am slowly finding more parts. Plastics are scarce so I think I may try to "restore" the plastics I have. I am not sure what the sub valve is. I am assuming it has something to do with the kips thing on the side of the motor.

jstcraig I am in Jacksonville, FL most of the time but I travel a lot in panhandle, South Georgia and South Alabama. As well as Atlanta several times a year.
david

Post by david »

Ebay is your friend for bikes this old. Other parts that are still available can be ordered from any number of online dealer sites. I use Partzilla, you will have to set up an account in order to look at prices.

KIPS-- This is the power valve system that is in the cylinder. The '89-'94 have a bad habit of stripping the gear on the left sub-valve. The factory ones are aluminum and are no longer available from Kawasaki. Evey now and then they pop up on Ebay as NOS (NEW OLD STOCK). An aftermarket company in England makes a complete set of sub-valves and bushing out of steel that sells over here for $200. They are very high quality and will never need to be replaced again. I just got mine and installed them last week.
'81 KDX 175
'90 KDX 200
'07 Vulcan 2000 Classic LT (totaled 4/25/15)
'82 Honda GL500 (sold)
'96 ZXi 1100 JetSki
'98 STX 1100 JetSki
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to the forums. If you are dead set on this particular KDX, then I strongly suggest you first get a service manual, either the online version from Cyclepedia mentioned with a link on the forum home page and / or the OEM manual. Use manuals pop up on eBay fairly often. You can download the owner's manual for free from the kawasaki site under Owner Info.

Again, if you are dead set on this particular KDX, I would stronlgy encourage you to tackle any and everything related to the engine before you start on any other item. A motorcycle without a running engine is a STATUE.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
jstcraig
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by jstcraig »

Ok no I'm most probably if no use being in Oz, there is a guy over here that does dc plastics and seems to have a comprehensive list can I put the name up ?

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Sure. Post it up.

OP, look into UFO brand plastic from Italy. They make shrouds, front fender, rear fender, side panels. I think Clarke or IMS may make a tank, besides OEM, which I doubt is still available.
Anthony.Sims

Post by Anthony.Sims »

Ok, I bought the service manual and it is really good. It gave me a lot of confidence to start tearing the engine down.
What I found...
1. The valves are shot. David where do I buy the steel valves you mentioned?
2. The cylinder head is good and not scarred at all. :)
3. The bottom end is good. :)
david

Post by david »

He sells them on eBay or you could call and order by phone. Company info is at the bottom of the eBay listing.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/KAWASAKI-KDX200 ... SwQTVV~-8T
'81 KDX 175
'90 KDX 200
'07 Vulcan 2000 Classic LT (totaled 4/25/15)
'82 Honda GL500 (sold)
'96 ZXi 1100 JetSki
'98 STX 1100 JetSki
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

Here's an interesting tidbit: about two years ago I bought a 92 kdx200 in terrible shape for $200 figuring on doing a full restore.
The engine was so gross and the cylinder needed replated, so I ponied up and shipped it to millennium technologies and $1200 later I had a shiny new engine that ran as well as the old tired carb could feed it. Got the BDK steel valves in it as well, and a port job.

Then I blew a hole in the piston as this was my first real 2 stroke and I didn't do the engine work myself so I didn't really know how to take care of it and make sure things were torqued down properly.
So I bought some parts (crank puller, for example) and rebuilt it myself. It's not hard, and I wish I had done it myself the first time. Now I know how everything works and know what has been done.

It's a project, and a money pit. And you'll probably see decent deals come along ready to ride, but if you like to wrench you might enjoy it. It's not a hard bike to service if you can use a torque wrench and read the directions.

Good luck on plastics!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Anthony.Sims

Post by Anthony.Sims »

Thanks for the personal story. I really don't mind working on things. I have done it all my life. I think I changed my first water pump at 7 or 8 years old with the guidance of my father of course but I've never done much motorcycle work. I actually find working on vehicles and things like this therapeutic.
I've already stripped the motorcycle down, primed the frame and ready for some spray paint tomorrow. I allowed myself $1500 including the motorcycle but I think I'll be able to keep it just over $1000 since I won't have to tear into the bottom end. Any guidance and advice will very much appreciated.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Worldwide forum standard... post some pics. :grin: :cool:
Anthony.Sims

Post by Anthony.Sims »

Trying to post pics but I cannot figure out how. I'm really not very technologically savvy. lol
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Photobucket
Anthony.Sims

Post by Anthony.Sims »

Hauling her home