KDX 200 Light?

Got questions? We got answers....
Donovan401

KDX 200 Light?

Post by Donovan401 »

Hey I wanted to add a light back on to my KDX. I had a stock one before rebuild but it ended up braking during the rebuild. All of the wires are still connected on the bike. So I want to add this head light... http://m.ebay.com/itm/White-Dirt-Bike-M ... iid%253A25

I dont need something to light up a whole forest, just to light up 5-10 feet ahead of me in pitch black. And I noticed that the headlight posted above has a hi beam/low beam selection built in. Can I just connect the low beam and let the high beam remain unconnected or even removed? I just want something that provides a bit of light and looks real good. And question number 2, how would I go about plugging that headlight in? My kdx has only 2 wires that connected to the headlight would I just find the two that connect to the low beam and rig it? (Side note: I want to avoid switching the coil under the flywheel).
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

KDX 200 Light?

Post by Dekon »

I have a similar light on mine, I just cut off the plug and found the wires for the low beam and connected those to the two wires from the bike.
Donovan401

KDX 200 Light?

Post by Donovan401 »

Dekon wrote:I have a similar light on mine, I just cut off the plug and found the wires for the low beam and connected those to the two wires from the bike.
Perfect thanks, thats what I planned but I just wanted to make sure its possible before I buy it.
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

KDX 200 Light?

Post by pumpguy »

The listing does not show the wattage, which is important. The stock headlight is 35 watts, and the stock lighting coil output is only 40 watts, leaving just enough current for the tail light.

Unless LEDs are used, that's not even enough to power the stop light in a dual filament incandescent bulb.

Usually lighting upgrades include a higher output lighting coil. For this, you can either rewind your coil or buy an 85 watt coil from Ricky Stator.

Regarding the headlight beams, you can do as Dekon suggested and use only one of the bulb filaments, fit a handlebar mounted dimmer switch and have the choice of high or low beam, or power both filaments together. To use both filaments together, you will need a higher output coil.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: KDX 200 Light?

Post by 6 Riders »

Before you cut any wires off, check whether you like the hi or low beam better. Usually in a dual filament MC bulb, the wattage is the same hi or low, just the light pattern changes. FYI the stock kdx bulb is dual filament, with just one side powered. You can also buy a lower wattage bulb if the one the headlight comes with is to high wattage.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Donovan401

Post by Donovan401 »

Alright good, thanks for the feedback guys. (And I disconnected my taillight a while back anyway so thats out the picture)
Donovan401

Post by Donovan401 »

Oh hey I found the info in the description. Im going to copy and paste...

Fitment:
Universal fitment, this product will fit on most Dirt Bikes, Streetfighter style and Custom Motorcycles
100% Brand new in box
Packing will come with a headlight
Color: White
Transparent lens cover to protect lights
Plenty of room for instruments
Bulb: 12V (Dual light with Hi/Lo option) <<<<<<<<
Approx. dimensions: H: 12" W: 10 1/2"
High quality Polypropylene
No instruction included, professional installation recommended
They are aftermarket parts. NOT D.O.T approved , do not use if D.O.T is required

THe bulb is 12V (Dual light with high low option) so both the bulbs are 12V correct? That means I can actually wire them both right? Right now the switch I have is a simple on/off. Can I just wire it so both them turn on at the same time? :shock: :supz:
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

KDX 200 Light?

Post by pumpguy »

You can wire both filaments to operate, but your coil may not have enough wattage output to power them together.

Best advice here is to try and see what happens.
kevinha924
Supporting Member

Post by kevinha924 »

I have that same light its not to bright but like stated cut the plug and wire it up how you like the mounts are a joke so if you have stock bracket its best to try to utilize it to make it solid. Id imagine would be a much better light with a higher output coil but it would be enough to creep out of the woods in the dark unfortunately the faster you go the brighter it is i got mine for like 20 bucks so its a better option than a number plate for just a few bucks more..
Donovan401

Post by Donovan401 »

Yea I just need something for those sun down hours, but I like the way the light looks much more than the number plate reguardless
patreilly
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by patreilly »

If you haven't ordered yet, there is an Ebay listing for a similar light at $20.99. I purchased one and it is the same specs as the one you show. I am happy with the one I purchased.
Donovan401

Post by Donovan401 »

patreilly wrote:If you haven't ordered yet, there is an Ebay listing for a similar light at $20.99. I purchased one and it is the same specs as the one you show. I am happy with the one I purchased.
You have a link so I can check it out?
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Look at these. The UFO GHIBLI is a stock looking replacement and can use straps or stock mounting brackets.
http://m.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=ufo+h ... ufo+headli

*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Donovan401

Post by Donovan401 »

As one of yous mentioned LED, would I be able to switch the bulb to an LED bulb without adjustments to the coil? Any recommendations when shopping for the bulb? The headlight kit comes in any day but the LED would be hella bright and look badass! :twisted:
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

6 Riders wrote:Look at these. The UFO GHIBLI is a stock looking replacement and can use straps or stock mounting brackets.
http://m.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=ufo+h ... ufo+headli

6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Donovan401 wrote:As one of yous mentioned LED, would I be able to switch the bulb to an LED bulb without adjustments to the coil? Any recommendations when shopping for the bulb? The headlight kit comes in any day but the LED would be hella bright and look badass! :twisted:
The KDX has an AC circuit, LEDs run on DC, so you'd need to convert the power from ac to dc somehow. There are a lot of options to do this, so pick one and run with it.
You might have to change all the lighting to led so you don't over load the circuit once converted to dc.

Donovan401

Post by Donovan401 »

Alright, ill do some research. LED uses way less power to right? I want to see if I can get a light bar on my handlebars and still keep my normal headlight and just use one at a time.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Yes LEDs use less power, but when you convert from ac to dc, you only have half the stators power available. So if you have a stock 40w stator, you'll only have 20w dc.

The_Drew

Post by The_Drew »

6 Riders wrote:Yes LEDs use less power, but when you convert from ac to dc, you only have half the stators power available. So if you have a stock 40w stator, you'll only have 20w dc.

That's not necessarily true. It depends on what you use. A bridge rectifier should convert at full power. You just have to make sure you get the right type.

I used one from a Suzuki GS1100.

You will have to remove the flywheel and float the ground on the stator(There is a thread with good directions on this, but i don't remember who did it. I will try to find it)
Donovan401

Post by Donovan401 »

Update: I got the headlight few days late, actually bright as hell even in day time, way-way brighter than the stock one. I have the high beams and and low beam wired together. Not home right now so I cant post the bulbs info. Maybe the previous owner had tethered the coil at some point, idk :lol: :shock: