Is the KDX tractor like?

Got questions? We got answers....
Ed5786

Re: Is the KDX tractor like?

Post by Ed5786 »

I run 13/49. With the fmf woods pipe, there is plenty of pull from bottom to top. I also have the desert pipe, and much prefer the woods. IMO, the desert gives more up on the bottom than the woods does on top.
1998 KDX200
Fmf gnarly woods
Boyesen reeds
13/49 gearing
firsthere
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by firsthere »

Good to know, I have the desert pipe also and it does lose some low end compared to the stock anchor.

PC seems to be the best of both from what I have read?
Ed5786

Post by Ed5786 »

I had thought about a pro circuit pipe as well, and people who have it said it wasn't all that different than the desert. Same mid range hit and top end and maybe just a little more on the bottom. Having the woods pipe is almost like riding with an auto clutch once your jetting is dialed. Handles slow twisty stuff with ease and makes sand/hills a breeze.
1998 KDX200
Fmf gnarly woods
Boyesen reeds
13/49 gearing
G22inSC
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by G22inSC »

I have the PC Platinum II and love it but be warned, it's no longer in production. They are not hard to find online now but eventually the supply will dry up and our only choice will be a FMF version.
'05 Kaw KDX200 ('00 KX125 forks / '02 RM125 Showa "K2" shock)
'14 Yam YZ125(x) (oldest boy's)
'22 Yam YZ125X (youngest boy's)
'17 Yam YZ85 (soon to be FOR SALE)
'10 Honda Recon (wife's)
'08 Kaw KX65 (Sold)
'07 KTM 50SX Sr. (Sold)
'09 Yam PW50 (retired)
'97 Kaw KX250 (Sold)

Gallery

2005 KDX200 Bike Profile
BamBam
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by BamBam »

From reading around here, I though the PC pipe sounded best for a 220. The only thing is that some say it sticks out very far and is sure to get dented in a fall. How much of a serious concern should that be???
firsthere
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by firsthere »

G22inSC wrote:I have the PC Platinum II and love it but be warned, it's no longer in production. They are not hard to find online now but eventually the supply will dry up and our only choice will be a FMF version.
Can you elaborate on how the PC II affects the power output on a stock 200 (2004)?

Only other mod is two stage reeds which made small gains everywhere including more top end. No powerband to speak of though.
G22inSC
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by G22inSC »

Sad to say but don't really know. That was one of the first mods done right off the bat so I don't know what it was like compared to stock. I put the PC pipe on before the motor was even broken in. I've always heard the Platinum II is a more all around pipe with a little power added everywhere. It is supposedly still better than stock on the bottom, great mid and can still rev. It seems the FMF pipes are much more either low end or top end focused.
'10 Honda Recon (wife's)
'08 Kaw KX65 (Sold)
'07 KTM 50SX Sr. (Sold)
'09 Yam PW50 (retired)
'97 Kaw KX250 (Sold)

Gallery

2005 KDX200 Bike Profile
firsthere
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by firsthere »

Yeah, that's my thoughts also, a good all around pipe. Does your bike have a powerband/hit with the PC? Not that that would be a problem up high, I think having a powerband makes the most of a two strokes potential.
G22inSC
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by G22inSC »

Yes, there is a powerband. The "hit" can be tuned depending on what style you like.
'10 Honda Recon (wife's)
'08 Kaw KX65 (Sold)
'07 KTM 50SX Sr. (Sold)
'09 Yam PW50 (retired)
'97 Kaw KX250 (Sold)

Gallery

2005 KDX200 Bike Profile
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

Boy, after reading this I'm wondering if I need to go back to the drawing board on tuning my 92 200.
It's a dog until the powerband hits. Then it'll throttle wheelie in third going downhill!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Ed5786

Post by Ed5786 »

Friedom wrote:Boy, after reading this I'm wondering if I need to go back to the drawing board on tuning my 92 200.
It's a dog until the powerband hits. Then it'll throttle wheelie in third going downhill!

KIPS functioning alright? From what I've read the E series bikes have a little more bottom end than the later model H series. I have also read the sub valves like to break.
1998 KDX200
Fmf gnarly woods
Boyesen reeds
13/49 gearing
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

Ed5786 wrote:
Friedom wrote:Boy, after reading this I'm wondering if I need to go back to the drawing board on tuning my 92 200.

KIPS functioning alright? From what I've read the E series bikes have a little more bottom end than the later model H series. I have also read the sub valves like to break.
KIPS is working superb. I have the BDK steel KIPS valves in it. It's when they open that the bike runs so well.

Ed5786

Post by Ed5786 »

Friedom wrote:
Ed5786 wrote:

KIPS is working superb. I have the BDK steel KIPS valves in it. It's when they open that the bike runs so well.

Good compression? When I bought my bike, I though it ran pretty good. Then I did a top end and all of a sudden I had a lot off off idle pull.
1998 KDX200
Fmf gnarly woods
Boyesen reeds
13/49 gearing
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

Brand new engine (top and bottom) build with a fresh nicasil lining from Millennium Tech, ported and polished. When it comes on the pipe it's extraordinary, it's just really lame before then.

Ed5786

Post by Ed5786 »

Friedom wrote:Brand new engine (top and bottom) build with a fresh nicasil lining from Millennium Tech, ported and polished. When it comes on the pipe it's extraordinary, it's just really lame before then.

If it's all jetted properly maybe the porting just changed the nature of it?
1998 KDX200
Fmf gnarly woods
Boyesen reeds
13/49 gearing
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

Ed5786 wrote:
Friedom wrote:Brand new engine (top and bottom) build with a fresh nicasil lining from Millennium Tech, ported and polished. When it comes on the pipe it's extraordinary, it's just really lame before then.

If it's all jetted properly maybe the porting just changed the nature of it?
That could be. They did an "all around" porting. I bet an air Stryker and an RB head would do wonders for it. I'm also running a rad valve. The old carb is probably the bottle neck, I've just thrown so much money into this bike that if I can't tune it out, it's probably going to stay in :)