Cold cranking question

Got questions? We got answers....
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Cold cranking question

Post by doakley »

Bike is a '99 220 with a top end overhaul including replaced cylinder by Millineum, Weisco piston and rings. Everything else is stock. Problem is the bike is difficult to start cold. After it cranks for the first start of the day, regardless of outside temp, it cranks 1st kick every time. Runs strong, no issues, after warm up, throttle response is crisp and I think it is jetted properly. I've owned it 2+ years and it was easy to crank at first. Compression is 150-155 psi. I'm looking for clues. Only thing I haven't checked is the jet block gasket.

Any suggestions?
david

Re: Cold cranking question

Post by david »

When I went down a few numbers on my pilot jet, my 200 became VERY difficult to start cold. Went back to the stock jetting. 2-3 kicks cold with the choke on, 1 kick after warm up....every time. You may want to try a fresh plug and see if that helps.
'81 KDX 175
'90 KDX 200
'07 Vulcan 2000 Classic LT (totaled 4/25/15)
'82 Honda GL500 (sold)
'96 ZXi 1100 JetSki
'98 STX 1100 JetSki
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Cold cranking question

Post by thirdgenlxi »

Mine did that and it was the float valve not sealing off..... When it wouldn't start cold I could lay it over on its side and let some gas drain out, and it would start right up. Replaced the float valve and never had a prob after that.... Always starts first kick
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Cold cranking question

Post by doakley »

Outstanding! Who would have thunk it? I changed the float valve even though it looked perfect. Cranks cold 1st or 2nd kick now. Thanks, third gen like! Great tip!