KDX dual sport?

Got questions? We got answers....
Jeminye

KDX dual sport?

Post by Jeminye »

Has anyone here Dual Sported their KDX?
I have a 99 kdx 200, I'm collecting all the parts to do this, I'm under the impression this bike puts out AC voltage, but my headlight housing says 12VDC 30W.
I started the bike and put my volt meter on the socket set to both AC and DC, but couldn't seem to get an accurate reading.

I have a tusk writing harness that doesn't indicate a headlight on the schematic at all.

It's a two wire headlight with a dual filament bulb, which is confusing also...

Any advice?

TIA
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

KDX dual sport?

Post by thirdgenlxi »

Honestly the easiest route by far if you want to make it completely street legal.... is the Baja Designs dual sport kit. It's a little pricey (~$550 if you get all LED's) but it comes with all the wiring harnesses and everything.... plug and play, and it converts everything to 12v DC and adds a battery, key switch, etc. Everything is concealed nicely in the front headlight housing.... battery, fuses, relays, signals, horn, regulator/rectifier, etc. Even has a little pigtail connector you can tap into for ground, switched power, and constant power.... for running a computer like a Trail Tech (I have the Vapor, and it switches on and off with the key switch). It really is the simplest route to go rather than trying to piece everything together and wire it yourself. It's super easy to put in

But to kinda answer your original question.... before I did the BD kit and was running just a regular headlight, mine was AC powered.... I put a meter on it and when revved up was getting about 75v AC. Just out of curiosity I took a night light out of the bathroom in my house and wired it up to the headlight, and sure enough it lit up, hahah

I ride mine as a dual sport and supermoto as well..... this is with the Baja Design kit and all LED lights and signals. Headlght bulb is a Cyclops Adventure Sports 3800 lumen LED bulb..... WELL worth the $60. A few pics

And this is the headlight at night... can see how bright it is. It only draws 20 watts on low beam and 30 on high..... I run everything with the stock stator/lighting coil. And yes, we were nighttime trail riding here, lol

Just for an idea..... it keeps everything nice and tidy and was super easy to install
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: KDX dual sport?

Post by Tyl3r »

LOL when I saw the thread title, I knew Jared was gonna bring the pics! :lol: :pop:

I read around a bit on here when I was making mine a dual sport (do some searching, you will find a lot on here). Lots of people have pieced together all the stuff they need to make everything work. To me, it seemed worth it to just go with the Baja Designs kit (as mentioned above), I'm not much of an electronics person (know the basics and that's about it). I didn't go for LED's, so I think it was less than $500 for my kit. It was super easy to install and works great. Everything is plug and play, couldn't be easier. Also, another thing to consider would be a stator rewind or upgrade to get some more power for the lights. I think the stock one puts out about 35-40w. The Ricky Stator one that I got puts out 85w. I'm running the trail tech computer too for the speedo and other things. Super easy install on that too.

But yea, Jared has a really nice and simple set-up... I found myself doing a lot of the same things he did (I wouldn't quite call it copying :shh: )
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: KDX dual sport?

Post by 6 Riders »

So, to wire your switch, the yellow wire from the headlight will now go to the switch, the hi and lo wires go back to power the light, don't remember what I did with the ground. I you bought the whole kit (like you should have) disconnect the stock tail light, this gives you all the power you need for the headlight. I do have a big stator myself, but that's from pre led days and you had to have it.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
fishwater
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

KDX dual sport?

Post by fishwater »

I'm about ready to start wiring mine up with the Tusk wire harness, multi function switch, lion battery & turn signals. I already did the kit on the XR I just sold & my new KTM. It's pretty easy but I kept the original wiring to the head & tail lights using the Tusk harness for horn & turn signals. It's a pretty easy install this way & isolates the system in case I ever feel the need to remove the street gear.
1994 KDX 200 all original, street plate
2009 KTM 250XCF-W, street plate