1991 250 KDX Kawasaki dirt bike ..........starting problems

Got questions? We got answers....
eprac

Post by eprac »

I have a 1991 250 KDX that I'm having problems starting. I just got the bike back from a so called friend that bot it from me 10 yrs ago. He never bothered to pay me a cent, so I asked for the bike back and I got it last week. I had to go pick it up at his parents place. He has his own place and wasn't there when I picked it up. So no insight offered into what may be wrong with it. I 'm going to restore it back to running condition, clean it up and sell it. Here's what I've done .....new spark plug, cleaned the tank fresh gas, new gas line old one cracked, changed the oil, changed the filter. So what I'm trying to do is get it started and go from there. It does turn over .....piston is not ceased or anything. When I first poured gas into the tank I noticed with the petcock closed ...gas was leaking from a very small hole in the back of the petcock ...almost perfect round as to be an OEM hole .......everyone I talked to said never seen a hole in the back of the petcock before. If I had the valve in any position, closed, open or Res it would leak out the hole in the back. I was advised to use JB weld and seal up the hole. What I did was find a very small screw dipped it in the JB weld and screwed it in the hole.
No more leak ...but here's my problem .......it won't start. I thought maybe to much JB weld was blocking the fuel from getting down to the carb ....because when I had everything hooked back up and turn the valve to the ON position I saw no fuel coming thru the clear fuel line to the carb. So I pulled the fuel line off the carb.... and turned the valve to the ON position , fuel was flowing , turned to the Res position, fuel was flowing, turned back to the OFF position , fuel would stop flowing. I reconnect the line to the carb and tried the turning the valve to the same positions ....no fuel flowing at all. ...nothing coming down the line ...fuel only runs from the petcock when the line is disconnected from the carb. My son and I can't figure it out. He thought we flooded it .....and I said I don't think there is any fuel getting thru period. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thx
Michael...the novice bike mechanic.and fustrated Dad.:(
Ajax, Ontario
mcarpe@sympatico.ca
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: 1991 250 KDX Kawasaki dirt bike ..........starting probl

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to the forums.

The petcock may have a damaged o-ring inside.

It sounds like the fuel hose is clogged??

Have you checked the air filter or reeds? Anything else? Pipe and spark arrestor not clogged? If it sat for years, rats may have got in it.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
IceCold4x4

Post by IceCold4x4 »

Pull the float Bowl off and see if there's gas in there

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
1997 KDX 200 - FMF pipe and silencer and I have no clue what else yet.
2000 ZRX1100 - 1109 big bore, ZX11 carbs / cams/ double valve springs / igntion box / Kerker exhaust. It's Mad Max black and fast but rarely clean
2006 Volvo XC90 V8 - The toy hauler and sleeper. 300hp and AWD in a soccer mom SUV.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Pull the carb and clean it well, sounds like the float valve is closed up tight, though you should still see fuel in the fuel line when you turn it on. Also make sure your gas tank vent is not blocked. I'm with Jason, if it sat for 10 years you have work to do, #1 clean the carb, #2 make sure the intake and exhaust tracts are mechanically sound, #3 beat former friend with least favorite tool lol
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

It's Friday night.

[youtube][/youtube]
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
eprac

Post by eprac »

Thank you all for the suggestions. The bike never sat idle for 10 years it was used I just don't know how much and when it was last started ...so much for friends. Pretty sad unfortunately. I do have spark coming from the plug when I kick it over and have also sprayed some gas into the cylinder ...and it wants to go but sputters out. All vents all clear. One trick I 've heard to try is to blow air in thru the gas cap vent tube and then pinch the tube closed trapping the air inside the tank ....then try kicking it over which MAY force the gas down into the carb and open the the vent. Worth a try and if that fails ...I'll remove the carb and have a look ....stay tuned I'll update my findings.
MC
IceCold4x4

Post by IceCold4x4 »

If the float need is closed there would be air trapped in between the carb and tank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
1997 KDX 200 - FMF pipe and silencer and I have no clue what else yet.
2000 ZRX1100 - 1109 big bore, ZX11 carbs / cams/ double valve springs / igntion box / Kerker exhaust. It's Mad Max black and fast but rarely clean
2006 Volvo XC90 V8 - The toy hauler and sleeper. 300hp and AWD in a soccer mom SUV.
eprac

Post by eprac »

I will check that once I pull the carb........ Thx
Also, does anyone know where I can buy a petcock for this bike? Kawasaki no longer makes them and I have looked on Ebay, Amazon and haven't been able to find an aftermarket replacement. I take a used one if available.
Thx
Michael