Tail light wiring

Got questions? We got answers....
BamBam
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Tail light wiring

Post by BamBam »

I just bought a new UFO rear fender, and when trying to install I have three wires coming from the fender tail light, and I see only two wires waiting on the bike to connect.
The old fender did not have a tail light that was connected.

Am I missing a wire? What color wires SHOULD there be and in this photo what connects to what??

6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tail light wiring

Post by 6 Riders »

I believe the UFO fender has one for ground, one for tail and one for brake. The KDX doesn't have a brake light. IIRC the black/yellow is the ground and the red is the tail light. Can't tell you what the corresponding wires are on the fender, but if you open up the light, it should be pretty easy to ID what is what.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
BamBam
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by BamBam »

The KDX doesn't have a brake light? Then how are they made street legal in supermoto form?
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Tail light wiring

Post by pumpguy »

BamBam wrote:The KDX doesn't have a brake light? Then how are they made street legal in supermoto form?
You need to add road legal lighting and horn.

For brakes, as a minimum you need to add a brake light switch activated by the rear brake pedal. This can be either mechanical or hydraulic. A front brake light switch is recommended, and this would be an hydraulic type.

Slimline hydraulic brake switches are readily available. These come with a longer banjo bolt and crush washers.

As far as turn signals and horn go, depends on what your state requires. Here in Illinois, motorcycle turn signals are not required, but an electrically operated horn is. Unless you are going to do a full DC conversion with rectifier and battery, you might want to look into a battery powered horn for a bicycle. I understand they are quite loud.

And finally, depending on weather you stay with incandescent or go to LED bulbs, you will probably need to upgrade your lighting coil. The stock 40 watt coil does not have enough beans to power upgraded lighting. Ricky Stator offers an 80 watt coil, and there is information here on this site to rewind your stock coil.

Good luck.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Another way to do this is to add a "total loss" system. RMATV sells one, sans headlight, for about $200, very easy to wire in and user friendly.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type