Won't shift past 4th when in motion

Got questions? We got answers....
NE_KDX_Rider

Won't shift past 4th when in motion

Post by NE_KDX_Rider »

I put on a aftermarket aluminum shifter that striped out so I put the stock one back on. After riding it I realized that I could not shift past 4th. I stopped the bike and tried going through the gears with the engine off and that worked. I got back on the bike and I believe that I was able to get 5th maybe 6th out of the bike then when I rode again I could not get past 4th. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Won't shift past 4th when in motion

Post by bufftester »

Did it shift past 4th before you put on the aftermarket shifter? Two possible issues are something jamming up the shift fork/pawl wheel (right side under the clutch) or issues with the transmission shift drum/forks/gears itself (require splitting cases). SOmetimes it's something simple like the end of the KIPS shaft breaking off and floating around wreaking havoc, sometimes its worse. Sitting still and running the shift lever up and down isn't going to tell you much. Put it on a stand so the rear wheel is off the ground. Put it in neutral and then have someone turn the rear wheel while you run through the gears so the gear train is in motion. That will get you started.