Inform me about sprockets, please

Got questions? We got answers....
BamBam
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by BamBam »

After riding a wooded muddy trail, it felt like I was held back by riding 2nd gear most of the time wound out, and not enough open road for much time in 3rd. Is this the case where I would benefit from changing sprockets and gear lower?

What drives the decision to lower 1 tooth on the front sprocket vs increasing the number of teeth on the back? Why choose one over the other? Is it based on chain length?

Looking on line, there are a lot of brands of sprockets. Any brands you would avoid? I noticed the higher priced ones are aluminum. But wouldn't steel be more durable in something as critical as a sprocket?
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Inform me about sprockets, please

Post by 6 Riders »

Steel w/sealed chains for longevity! I wouldn't go less than 13 teeth on the front myself, just to much chain binding with the 12 tooth front sprocket for me. Others will swear by the 12 tooth fronts. I would simply go with a 50T rear, but I actually prefer 13/48 combo for most riding, but gearing is a personal choice and "hit and miss". I use primary drive "XTS" front sprockets (NOT the cheaper one) with good luck and almost any steel rear, besides PD.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
TeamDoty
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by TeamDoty »

I've been running a 13/50 and mostly ride slow, technical terrain (hills, rocks, mud, tree roots, etc.) here in the Ozark woods. I like how my KDX chugs along in a lower RPM - mainly in 2nd gear. To give myself a little bit more range in that 2nd gear I'm going to try a 13/51 next. We'll see how that goes.

I can only speculate at your actual question though... the way I look at it... only about 1/2 of the teeth are engaged in the chain at any given time. Why reduce the front sprocket and put even more load on less teeth? Maybe the sprockets are strong enough where that's prepos,.. uh, pre-..., uh, that's just stupid to say :rolleyes: . But, I've seen front chainrings on mtn. bikes strip out and fold over under heavy loads - so maybe it's something to consider. I would also think that maybe the ratio change between one tooth in the rear isn't as significant as one in the front... so perhaps if you're looking for a more gradual change you would just change the rear one tooth at a time?
Willbilly

Post by Willbilly »

BamBam wrote:After riding a wooded muddy trail, it felt like I was held back by riding 2nd gear most of the time wound out, and not enough open road for much time in 3rd. Is this the case where I would benefit from changing sprockets and gear lower?

What drives the decision to lower 1 tooth on the front sprocket vs increasing the number of teeth on the back? Why choose one over the other? Is it based on chain length?

Looking on line, there are a lot of brands of sprockets. Any brands you would avoid? I noticed the higher priced ones are aluminum. But wouldn't steel be more durable in something as critical as a sprocket?
It's time you start riding in 3rd gear and practicing clutch control buddy. That means you're getting faster.

I ride a 14/47 on my 2002 KDX220 and it is ideal for me.

Keep in mind if you use too large of a sprocket you may have fitment issues with the frame & chain guide

What you are looking for is a sprocket calculator which tells you how much torque and speed you'd gain/loose by changing your sprockets. Here's a link to one. http://www.sprocketcalculator.com/

Here's a sprocket ratio chart as well.
IceCold4x4

Post by IceCold4x4 »

1997 KDX 200 - FMF pipe and silencer and I have no clue what else yet.
2000 ZRX1100 - 1109 big bore, ZX11 carbs / cams/ double valve springs / igntion box / Kerker exhaust. It's Mad Max black and fast but rarely clean
2006 Volvo XC90 V8 - The toy hauler and sleeper. 300hp and AWD in a soccer mom SUV.
BamBam
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by BamBam »

So if I went to a 13/49 it would be a 4.1% change in top speed per gear?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

I'm getting -4.25%, so that much slower.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
BamBam
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by BamBam »

That might be good, if not a 50 tooth. But like Willbilly said, I also need to just learn to ride faster.

I am not using 3rd gear near enough in the woods. And am stuck tapped out in 2nd where I feel I could be riding faster, yet not quite fast enough for 3rd without knowing the trail better. I posted a video in that forum. Painful to watch, pinned in the 2nd gear comfort zone. Conditions were not great, and I am still a total noob. But I think gearing would help get me into 3rd more often, and once in 3rd I could go faster overall I think.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

I agree, Even go super tall for a while so you are only really using 3rd and 4th to ride, start in 2nd, forget 1st all together. I always hated 1st gear and actually went the opposite of you and went with a 14t up front at first, learned to ride 2nd and 3rd all the time. Now I'm 13/48 3rd and 4th and actually utilizing 6th gear in really fast sections.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

You needed to shift up. Practice practice
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
K50X200
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by K50X200 »

Others will swear by the 12 tooth fronts
I guess I'm one of the others! :grin:
I use a 12/47 setup and love it, feels like a completely different bike - seems to put me in the sweet spot in 2nd & 3rd for the way I ride (and my occasional ventures into 4th :grin:) ... actually hated the 13/47... but I'm a slow rider riding some fairly rough Central PA terrain at Rausch Creek.
Testing the 12T is easy because the 110 link chain will still work, and only about $11.00 on eBay (which is the reason I initially tried it - cheap and easy to go back if I didn't like it)- You can't do the 13/50 combo test with a stock chain.
btw- I have had none of the issues that everybody mentions as reasons for not using a 12T front!
Your MPG's will definitely drop using the 12/47... I think I'm around 18 mpg, maybe a bit less.
"00 KDX200 - Baja Designs D/S Kit, '03 KLX300 Forks, KB5 Suspension Mods, Keihn 35 ASQV, Boyesen Rad Valve, Gnarly Woods Pipe
BamBam
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by BamBam »

Do you think a stock length chain will reach 13/49, if not 13/50?
K50X200
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by K50X200 »

BamBam wrote:Do you think a stock length chain will reach 13/49, if not 13/50?
I have a 49 rear that came in a box of stuff with my KDX so I tried it - chain was very tight- I did ride it around the streets in my neighborhood, but never would've have taken it off road...
So I guess the short answer is no! :grin:
"00 KDX200 - Baja Designs D/S Kit, '03 KLX300 Forks, KB5 Suspension Mods, Keihn 35 ASQV, Boyesen Rad Valve, Gnarly Woods Pipe
Willbilly

Post by Willbilly »

BamBam wrote:Do you think a stock length chain will reach 13/49, if not 13/50?
Have you asked google? I'd be surprised if it didn't have an answer for you