how high is the KDX seat?

Got questions? We got answers....
JustinHoMi

Post by JustinHoMi »

Hey guys. I'm considering buying a KDX200 as my first bike. I rode one the other day, and was surprised at how high the seat sat. I'm 5'10" (with penguin legs) and couldn't put both feet on the ground. The day before I sat on a YZ450 that sat lower. This surprised me since I thought the YZ's were supposed to be a few inches taller than the KDX.

Do these bikes generally sit high, or do you think the suspension was setup on the high range? I'm curious if they can be run a little lower without compromising the suspension. I REALLY like the KDX... but as a n00b I'd prefer to start with something a little shorter.

Thanks,

Justin
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: how high is the KDX seat?

Post by 6 Riders »

Google is your friend......
You didn't say what year...but the 1995-2006 seat height is 36.2", The 89-94 model seat is about an inch taller. Don't fret over not being able to put both feet down, you'll get over that fairly quickly. If you can reach with one foot, that is adequate as it is proper riding position anyways (one foot on the brake or shifter, one on the ground).
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
JustinHoMi

Post by JustinHoMi »

Ah yeah, I'm looking at the newer ones. The one I sat on was a 2004. I do know that it's supposed to be 36" tall, and the YZ is supposed to be 39". But since those numbers didn't really translate to what I felt when I sat on them, I figured I'd see what other KDX riders thought about the height.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

The one you sat on could have had a tall seat on it. That is not in heard of. I can't see making it taller otherwise.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

By shifting your weight to one side or the other, you can better keep your balance. People get used to not being flat footed
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
firsthere
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by firsthere »

Lowering links are available, easy install. I made a set for mine along with dropping the forks . Reduced seat height 1.5"
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

Keep in mind that lowering links by themselves will change the steering geometry, increasing the rake angle, which will affect how the bike handles.

You can compensate for this change by raising the fork tubes in the triple clamps.

Also, keep in mind that lowering links or raising the fork tubes (assuming no suspension changes are made too) will increase the chances of the tires bottoming out on the fenders. Just depends on how aggressive a rider you are.

If you do make these changes, it's a simple matter to reverse these changes as your skill or preferences change.
ScruffyDroid
Supporting Member

Post by ScruffyDroid »

At 5'10" you should have no problems with standard height? I'm 5'6" and dropped a set of Kouba Links #2 in. This dropped the seat height about 1.6". Had to raise the front forks 0.5" in the triple clamps to equalise the geometry

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
tr7dan

Post by tr7dan »

ScruffyDroid wrote:At 5'10" you should have no problems with standard height? I'm 5'6" and dropped a set of Kouba Links #2 in. This dropped the seat height about 1.6". Had to raise the front forks 0.5" in the triple clamps to equalise the geometry

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Any idea what the bolt centres are on the Kouba link #2 ? I have a friend who has an engineering company who makes parts for classic bikes, amongst other things, and he will make me a set of links - just need to know what length to make them

Dan
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

The stocks are 112.5 center to center. IIRC the Kouba 1 was 118 (1" drop), the 2 was 121 (1.6" drop) , and the 3 was 124 (2.2" drop), but that may be off, I know the 3 link for the H series is the same length as the stock one for the E series. The stock link for the KLX250 is 117mm but they are 8 mm thick where the KDX are 6 mm. For my dad's 93 we actually used links from a 2003 Vstrom 1000, just had to bore the holes from 12 to 15 mm. They came in at 140 mm, way too long for a H but gives about 1.5" on the E. If making your own you can have him do a couple in different lengths and see where you end up. 6mm thick or you will need to go to longer bolts.