Anybody ever run a Lectron carb?

Got questions? We got answers....
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by thirdgenlxi »

Just curious.... I just bought this beauty a few weeks ago. Their standard size carb doesn't fit the KDX due to how close it sits to the frame (Lectron is bigger pretty much all the way around), so they modified one and cut it down some specifically to fit my bike, after giving them some measurements. I haven't gotten it on yet, as it was super close but just a hair too big and still hitting the frame, and the throttle cable was too long (likely from cutting it down). So he's making me a new top cover piece that's thinner, as he's already cut it down as far as it'll go, and cutting the throttle cable down some too. Anxious to get it on and see how it does.... will be nice to not have to worry about jetting, lol. Here in the mountains we ride at a lot of different temps and altitudes

Just curious if anybody had ran one before. I'll def post an update once I get it on and can try it out

John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Anybody ever run a Lectron carb?

Post by John_S »

I've only read great things about them and heard them described as "EFI" for a 2 stroke. Have you seen that KTM is bringing EFI to the 2 strokes in 2018? Should be interesting. Its mostly in Europe to start but will have the 2018 250 XCW EFI in the states.

A youtube channel I like to watch called Dirt Bike Channel has a few Lectron videos where he rides and talks about them. Slavens Racing also has some Lectron videos. Congrats on the nice carb you got there!!
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by thirdgenlxi »

John_S wrote:I've only read great things about them and heard them described as "EFI" for a 2 stroke. Have you seen that KTM is bringing EFI to the 2 strokes in 2018? Should be interesting. Its mostly in Europe to start but will have the 2018 250 XCW EFI in the states.

A youtube channel I like to watch called Dirt Bike Channel has a few Lectron videos where he rides and talks about them. Slavens Racing also has some Lectron videos. Congrats on the nice carb you got there!!
Thanks! Yea my buddy just got one a month or so ago for his '09 KTM 150sx. Apparently the Lectron-Slavens thing was due to the 2017 KTM's, they switched to the Mikuni carbs and apparently lots a LOT of bottom end as a result. Slavens and Lectron made a high velocity carb mainly for the 2017's, which has a 4mm taper instead of 2mm, and apparently was supposed to give them their bottom end back. That's what they sold my buddy for his '09. It didn't add any to his, and he thinks maybe even lost a little bit. But he may have something else going on too, or may need a little tweaking

And yea I've seen the EFI coming out.... awesome! Curious how buggy it will be at first.... though apparently it's been in the works for 4 something years now (according to a long time KTM guru that I work with). I really hope it takes off, and even more so cleans up 2 strokes a little so maybe they can start to make a come back. I would absolutely love love LOVE if Kawi brought back a modern version of the KDX.... I'd bet it would still sell again today
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Id buy a brand new, fuel injected KDX, no questions asked lol. How sick would it be if they offered it in a 200 and a 300! :hmm:
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by thirdgenlxi »

Tyl3r wrote:Id buy a brand new, fuel injected KDX, no questions asked lol. How sick would it be if they offered it in a 200 and a 300! :hmm:
Ohhh man..... If they kept the same tractory characteristics of the current KDX, and made it a 300...... Good lord that would be unstoppable! I'd be at the dealership waiting, haha. But hell either one, if they brought it back, I'd be all over it :grin:
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by thirdgenlxi »

Well I got the new shaved down top piece I was waiting for, tried to put it in again today and it fit pretty good. Got everything all buttoned up, and it started first kick.... Had to adjust the idle speed a little bit but it seems to be running pretty good. Took it for a little ride through the yard and it stood up in 3rd gear on its own.... In the rain on wet grass, lol....So I guess thats a good thing, haha

Anxious to get out and ride it in the dirt and see how it feels :grin:

[youtube][/youtube]
G22inSC
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by G22inSC »

Curious, what did these "customizations" cost over the standard carb price?
'05 Kaw KDX200 ('00 KX125 forks / '02 RM125 Showa "K2" shock)
'14 Yam YZ125(x) (oldest boy's)
'22 Yam YZ125X (youngest boy's)
'17 Yam YZ85 (soon to be FOR SALE)
'10 Honda Recon (wife's)
'08 Kaw KX65 (Sold)
'07 KTM 50SX Sr. (Sold)
'09 Yam PW50 (retired)
'97 Kaw KX250 (Sold)

Gallery

2005 KDX200 Bike Profile
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by thirdgenlxi »

G22inSC wrote:Curious, what did these "customizations" cost over the standard carb price?
He didn't charge me any extra for modifying it.... I don't know if he wasn't for certain it would actually fit or not, or what the deal was.... but it was still just the same price as the regular carb. Now I'm not gonna say that he'll do it again the same way.... I had to help him out with some measurements also, of both the stock carb and the fltment between the carb and the frame, so maybe that was it. I don't even know if he would make another one for a KDX.... though now that he's got all the measurements he might

Anyways, I went and rode for a little bit today to try it out.... I like it! It seems like it added a noticeable amount of bottom end (not that the KDX was ever lacking in the low end torque dept, lol... but hey more is always better, right?). It feels like it's gotten very snappy down low.... even at low RPM and far away from being on the pipe, throttle response is about instant.... no lag at all. You could be putting along in 3rd at a low RPM, come up to a small water break, goose it and it would launch. There were a few rocky climbs that I usually downshift to 2nd for, tried it in 3rd today and it went right on up with power to spare. When you do get up on the pipe though, it has a dead spot mid-high. When you're giving it the berries it'll pull hard up to a certain point, then just fall flat and pretty much stay there. It has a power jet on the top of the carb so I'm thinking it may just be that..... gonna try opening it up a little bit and see if it makes any difference. It does start first kick every time, and starts easier in gear now too.... I usually always had to give it just a little throttle before if starting in gear. Idle seems more consistent as well. I think it'll be a worthwhile addition :grin:

All buttoned up and running great, minus some tweaking

ScruffyDroid
Supporting Member

Post by ScruffyDroid »

Hi. I'm curious to see how you got on with the Lectron over the summer? Did you manage to get rid of the flat spot?

I'm based in the UK and looking to make the same change. If you would let me know who you got the Lectron from, much appreciated.

Thanks
ScruffyDroid
cornishwrecker220

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

There are only 2 sizes available for the kdx, 34 & 36mm & will set you back almost £400 from Suzuki performance spares here in th UK...I thought about buying one for myself but couldn't justify spending all that dosh.....
ScruffyDroid
Supporting Member

Post by ScruffyDroid »

cornishwrecker220 wrote:There are only 2 sizes available for the kdx, 34 & 36mm & will set you back almost £400 from Suzuki performance spares here in th UK...I thought about buying one for myself but couldn't justify spending all that dosh.....
That's a load of dosh, for something that we don't know if it makes any difference in a KDX?

Was wanting to see what thirdgenlxi made of his...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by thirdgenlxi »

ScruffyDroid wrote:Hi. I'm curious to see how you got on with the Lectron over the summer? Did you manage to get rid of the flat spot?

I'm based in the UK and looking to make the same change. If you would let me know who you got the Lectron from, much appreciated.

Thanks
ScruffyDroid
Yes.... a little tweaking with the metering rod and power jet and it's butter smooth now and pulls hard from bottom to top. The problem was the power jet was set waaaayyyyyy too rich, and once it got on it, it just wouldn't even run. I set it to about 1-1/4 turns from closed and it's just right. I love the carb.... you're able to run it a little leaner down low, so at low/closed throttle or idle/coasting conditions, it doesn't 'load up', so when you go to get back on the throttle, there's no stuttering or clearing out, it's just instant crisp power right there as soon as you hit it. Plus my fuel mileage went way up.... about 12 mpg riding on the street. I used to get about 36-38 mpg on the street, now I'm getting a consistent 49, with the highest being 55 mpg. It's not wasting fuel down low where it doesn't need it, and a fouled plug is virtually unheard of. I'd definitely recommend :grin: :supz:
ScruffyDroid
Supporting Member

Post by ScruffyDroid »

thirdgenlxi wrote:
ScruffyDroid wrote:Hi. I'm curious to see how you got on with the Lectron over the summer? Did you manage to get rid of the flat spot?

Thanks
ScruffyDroid
Yes.... a little tweaking with the metering rod and power jet and it's butter smooth now and pulls hard from bottom to top. The problem was the power jet was set waaaayyyyyy too rich, and once it got on it, it just wouldn't even run. I set it to about 1-1/4 turns from closed and it's just right. I love the carb.... you're able to run it a little leaner down low, so at low/closed throttle or idle/coasting conditions, it doesn't 'load up', so when you go to get back on the throttle, there's no stuttering or clearing out, it's just instant crisp power right there as soon as you hit it. Plus my fuel mileage went way up.... about 12 mpg riding on the street. I used to get about 36-38 mpg on the street, now I'm getting a consistent 49, with the highest being 55 mpg. It's not wasting fuel down low where it doesn't need it, and a fouled plug is virtually unheard of. I'd definitely recommend :grin: :supz:
Thanks for the update. Great details.

Is your bike an "E" or an "H"? If it's an "H", would you care to share the measurements that you made and the details of what you ordered from Lectron?

Because I'm UK based, the delays and costs in sending back and forth would be impractical...

Thanks
Scruff

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
ScruffyDroid
Supporting Member

Post by ScruffyDroid »

Just had an email from Brooks at Lectron.

He advised that you had your frame cut and welded to get the Lectron to fit. This changes my options completely, since I don't fancy the idea of cutting and welding my frame.

thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by thirdgenlxi »

ScruffyDroid wrote:Just had an email from Brooks at Lectron.

He advised that you had your frame cut and welded to get the Lectron to fit. This changes my options completely, since I don't fancy the idea of cutting and welding my frame.

He told you that I cut and welded my frame to make it fit?? Cuz I most certainly did not, nor would I ever cut and weld my frame. And I worked with Kevin.... I don't know who Brooks is. I'm not sure where they came up with that from, lol. They did have to cut the body of the carb down a good bit to make it fit, and then send me another top piece that had the right side corner shaved down some and a thinner head screw. It fits though.... it's tight, but it fits without hitting anything. I'm not sure exactly how much they had to cut it down from the stock size though.... I would think they would have saved that information when they made it
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

I hope they did save the info! I wanted to do some major carb changes this winter... was looking at RB modified stock, an air stryker, or a Lectron. The Lectron seems like the most advanced... would really like to try one!
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
VTMTcowboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by VTMTcowboy »

I was thinking the same thing for my 97 220. Checked Lectron's website and only offer for the air cooled KDX. Seems like there would be enough people interested if they started producing them. Hopefully they can get the hint as $400 would be worth it to me.
1997 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200
ScruffyDroid
Supporting Member

Post by ScruffyDroid »

Yep. That's what I was told.

If there is enough interest here for folks on "H" Series, I'll pursue it. :mrgreen:
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by thirdgenlxi »

VTMTcowboy wrote:I was thinking the same thing for my 97 220. Checked Lectron's website and only offer for the air cooled KDX. Seems like there would be enough people interested if they started producing them. Hopefully they can get the hint as $400 would be worth it to me.
Yea you've gotta call and talk to them. If they saved all the dimensions from when they made mine, I would think it wouldn't be that hard to duplicate it. It's a neat carb.... and once you get it set, you can pretty much forget about it as far as changing temps and altitudes go. Only thing I've noticed is the idle speed is very sensitive to temp fluctuations, so you have to make frequent idle speed adjustments when the temp fluctuates.... even going from a cooler morning to a warmer afternoon. But it's no biggie, it has a nice big knurled knob right there on the side so it only takes a second. I do it while I'm riding sometimes

There was an issue with the throttle cable fitment when I got mine too..... I had to get one of their Motion Pro cables, and it was waaayyyy too long. They were supposed to cut one down a few inches and send it to me, but they screwed up and didn't cut it down, just sent me another identical cable. I was anxious to get it in, so instead of sending it back I just found a spacer that worked to take up the excess slack. I used a clutch cable adjuster sleeve.... it threaded right into the stock throttle cable adjuster hole, and had the slit to fit over the cable. The rubber boot is long enough to fit over them both and keep everything sealed off.... it works great
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by thirdgenlxi »

ScruffyDroid wrote:Yep. That's what I was told.

If there is enough interest here for folks on "H" Series, I'll pursue it. :mrgreen:
Weird..... I'd be asking them who told them that, lol. Cuz I'd like to know too! :lol:

Oh and forgot to mention, mine is a H series. 2000 200