Gas tank. Different green?

Got questions? We got answers....
NV Rider

Gas tank. Different green?

Post by NV Rider »

I`m working on restoring the plastic on my `81 KDX 250. Everything looks promising so far with the fenders and side covers, but with the gas tank, not so much. I`ve been scraping off the outer layer of cracked and awful looking plastic and gotten to the original and beautiful green on everything but the tank. Even after scraping it`s still a lot darker in color than anything else. You can see the tank in this video before I started scraping, but it didn`t really change that much later. Could it be that the gas or gas fumes in the tank has interacted with the plastic and made it darker? I`m at a loss. As you can see in the video, the tank is bright green, the correct green if you will, under the stickers. Any tips or hints?

1981 KDX 250. Purchased February 2017. A work in progress
2010 Cervelo S1. I know, no engine, but it is a bike;-)
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Gas tank. Different green?

Post by KDXGarage »

"Could it be that the gas or gas fumes in the tank has interacted with the plastic and made it darker?"

WE HAVE A WINNER!! :supz:

Yes, 36+ years of gasoline has taken its toll. Colored tanks that have fuel left in them will turn brown over time. Look on eBay at used tanks from various models and you can see which ones held fuel longer than others.

You may want to skip right on to the sanding instead of scraping. Get it as good as its going to look, then try to be happy with it, or buy a new tank from Clarke, if they have one.

watching the videos now.

You need to keep in mind that all that plastic has UV damage as well. What I think you may now have figured out is that the tank stickers blocked the UV light and the plastic underneath is not nearly as sun damaged as the rest. You need to take the tank off and look at the underside in the center (where the frame rail is. It will be nice and pretty there.

Look on youtube for the video from the guy who just sands, then buffs at the end.

I am watching the front fender one right now. I think I would have just bought an UFO front fender instead of using the elbow grease on it. Save the sweat for the tank, side panels and other parts that are not replaceable with glossy plastic.

apple green microfiber cloth! YEAH!

watchign them out of order, hard to follow along. I will try the link I just saw in your other thread.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
NV Rider

Post by NV Rider »

Thanks again, Jason! I thought that might be the case. I'm ok with it being darker so I'll take it off and go directly to the sanding like you're suggesting. I think I've seen the video you mention. Red Honda tank?
My goal for this bike is to get it in decent shape on a low budget so I'll put in the hours ( which I'm enjoying) rather than purchasing new parts. At least for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1981 KDX 250. Purchased February 2017. A work in progress
2010 Cervelo S1. I know, no engine, but it is a bike;-)
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

NV Rider wrote:Thanks again, Jason! I thought that might be the case. I'm ok with it being darker so I'll take it off and go directly to the sanding like you're suggesting. I think I've seen the video you mention. Red Honda tank?
My goal for this bike is to get it in decent shape on a low budget so I'll put in the hours ( which I'm enjoying) rather than purchasing new parts. At least for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, red Honda tank (and a gallon of elbow grease), but I really think that guy is right on the tanks. I was working on a 1987 KX250 tank for a while until a much better one popped up on eBay that I bought. It was a LOT of sanding, but it was coming right along.

I would say get it to a level you are comfortable with. Be aware that unless you bought vented stickers, they probably won't last real long. I don't know what miracle stock stickers came with. If you can, drain the fuel out after riding if it is going to be a while before the next ride. If you are OK with running on "old" fuel" store it in a metal can, then pour it back in the plastic motorcycle tank.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
mtbfree

Post by mtbfree »

I have an '82 KDX 250, and the tank is visibly a different shade of green than the rest of the original plastics, very similar to the pictures you've posted of yours.

If anybody finds an aftermarket tank for these bikes, let me know because I've had no luck at all. Mine is cracked and the fuel cap is partly stripped. I've repaired the crack as well as I can by plastic welding it and then epoxying over the plastic weld. It's held up well so far, but not sure how long it will last. The gas cap is OK as long as I don't turn it too far. Not sure if it's the threads in the cap or on the tank, but I can't find an aftermarket cap either.
MaverickAus
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by MaverickAus »

Yeah the 250 wasn't real popular. I assume the 200 / 220 tank won't fit?