93 kdx200 kickstarter wont engage?

Got questions? We got answers....
nate9521

Post by nate9521 »

i have a 93 kdx200 that has always had a kickstarter problem. it will engage 1 out of 10 kicks at best. i just took the gear out and inspected it. the teeth are not worn. the ratchet gear engages strongly. i have tried different oils and that didnt help. the only thing is according to the manual there is suppose to be a thrust washer behind everything. but when i took the gear out it wasnt there. would the absence of that thrust washer give problems like the kickstarter slipping and not engaging?
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: 93 kdx200 kickstarter wont engage?

Post by KDXGarage »

This is not a rare problem. Search around for other threads to see what some others did. Replacing the spring and or gears seems to happen.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

From this topic. Search for slipping kick starter.
bufftester wrote:For the KDXs it's a fairly well documented issue with the teeth on the starter ratchet gear (p/n 13078-1063) and the teeth on the kickstarter spur gear (p/n 59051-1224) being worn down, or the ratchet spring (p/n 92081-122) being worn or broken. Part numbers given are good for E, H and 220 bikes
If your teeth look good then likely it is the spring worn (it is 20+ years old!). You do need the correct washer stack up in there as well.
nate9521

Post by nate9521 »

bufftester wrote:From this topic. Search for slipping kick starter.
bufftester wrote:For the KDXs it's a fairly well documented issue with the teeth on the starter ratchet gear (p/n 13078-1063) and the teeth on the kickstarter spur gear (p/n 59051-1224) being worn down, or the ratchet spring (p/n 92081-122) being worn or broken. Part numbers given are good for E, H and 220 bikes
If your teeth look good then likely it is the spring worn (it is 20+ years old!). You do need the correct washer stack up in there as well.
so even if the spring pushes the ratchet on to the gear firmly the spring still could be worn out?
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Dekon »

Has it been removed before? If so I'd check the that the plastic spacer is in correctly.
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

The washer that's missing will affect alignment of the shaft and thus everything that the shaft aligns with. Could be that simple (hopefully!)
Also, be sure that your spring bushing is fully/properly aligned and installed.

Edit: what Dekon said.

"Fun Wheel Drive"
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

nate9521 wrote:
bufftester wrote:From this topic. Search for slipping kick starter.
so even if the spring pushes the ratchet on to the gear firmly the spring still could be worn out?
Its possible for the spring to be worn out and appear to be doing its job but not. There's not a lot of surface area on the dogs where they interface, so any loss of tension would contribute to the problem. Ideally you could undercut the dogs to help ensure more positive lock, but kind of overkill here. TBH usually if it's a spring issue its because the spring has broken, but it happens enough and has been resolved enough by replacing the spring to warrant it. Better while you're in there to get the stack up correct and put a new spring in than have to go back in a second time IMO