Engine gasket advice

Got questions? We got answers....
seniorsehas
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Engine gasket advice

Post by seniorsehas »

I had my engine crank re-built and now EVERYTHING is leaking. Oil, gas, splooge is seaping out of every single gasket.... everything. It's all a slow leak but I ride the bike as a supermoto at a go kart track and I don't wanna be "that guy" who causes someone else to crash.

Does anyone know if there's any difference in gasket kits? Any recommendations on sealants? Thanks in advance.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Engine gasket advice

Post by KDXGarage »

Did you use a torque wrench to tighten them down? Do you have a Motion Pro torque wrench adapter?

I don't use a sealant.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

You definitely have to torque every single bolt to the manuals specs and use the motion pro adapter for the cylinder bolts. I would trust a gasket set like a Cometic or even TUSK but would still run an OEM cylinder base gasket because sometimes after market can be thinner or thicker by a bit, and that changes your compression. I use Threebond 1211 on case halves (a little goes a LONG way) if the engine doesn't call for a center gasket like the KDX. You should also do a leak down test (6psi for 6 minutes and dont accept even 1 psi loss) before you put it back in. You said every gasket is leaking. That means you have an air leak at every gasket. An engine with an air leak can lug around in the woods (for years even) no problem but for continuous long straights on the pipe like supermoto, or a 125 on an mx track, the same engine would seize up real quick. I would be leary of a no name eBay whole engine gasket set for $20. While you're at it replace the KIPS slotted cover oring so you don't chase an air leak for hours like I did. It was the only gasket or seal that wasn't replaced during a recent top end and sure enough, its the one that wouldn't seal up. It was leaking 2 psi over 6 minutes with just that "small" leak that didn't show up with soap and water. I don't know the mechanics equivalent of the ol saying measure twice cut once but you know what I'm saying. Maybe torque twice...put it together once.
seniorsehas
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by seniorsehas »

Excellent advice. Truly appreciate it. I'll get a new gasket kit and the motion pro wrench for it and let you all know how it works out once I'm done. I am throwing way more revs at this thing than a standard KDX would ever go through in the woods so I'll take all the "insurance" I can get.