E vs H series, should I mod my E?

Got questions? We got answers....
fishwater
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by fishwater »

So I recently picked up a very original, clean 1994 with low miles. I'm trying to decide if I should modify it or not, do the typical fork conversion, pipe, etc. How does the E compare to the H? Do I sell the 94 & put the money towards an H & build the H? How much better is the H series vs the E series? Or do I say forget the KDX, sell it & buy a early 2000 KTM 200 or 300? I ride the typical snotty New England woods & need to plate a bike to connect trails.
1994 KDX 200 all original, street plate
2009 KTM 250XCF-W, street plate
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: E vs H series, should I mod my E?

Post by Tyl3r »

The last option is quite possibly the worst idea I have ever heard in my life, maybe even the worst idea that anyone has ever came up with in the history of mankind :vom: .

Both bikes have their pro's and con's, just need to read around a bit on here and see what you think. I know some people prefer the E over the H and vice versa. A lot of it depends on how much money you want to spend. With either bike, suspension and pipe upgrades are going to be a good idea. Fork swaps are very common on both bikes and make a big improvement.
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

From what I've read on this site, the KIPS on the E series is more troublesome than H. If what I remember reading, E series KIPS seem to be prone to stripping gear teeth, making the KIPS inoperable.

As Tyl3r says, do your research before making any decision. This site is the best place to research KDXs.

Good luck.
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Dekon »

pumpguy wrote:From what I've read on this site, the KIPS on the E series is more troublesome than H. If what I remember reading, E series KIPS seem to be prone to stripping gear teeth, making the KIPS inoperable.

As Tyl3r says, do your research before making any decision. This site is the best place to research KDXs.

Good luck.
As for the E-series KIPS, BDK makes a set in steel and it seems to take care of that problem.

I've ridden both, I prefer the E. I just felt more comfortable on it; so that is what I bought. If you need a plate, register it in Vermont and then transfer to your state.
fishwater
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by fishwater »

I've looked into the BDK steel Kips & will go that way when the time comes. I thought I might need to do the top end as preventative maintenance when I got the bike & planned on doing the Kips then but lucked out with compression of 170.

Plating is easy in NH, just need a title if it's less than 15 years old or registration. If it's older it can be inspected & then registered.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

It still wouldn't be a bad idea to pull the head and clean out all of the KIPS parts since the bike is new to you. I'm not that familiar with the E-series, but I know you can pull all of the KIPS parts from an H series without pulling the motor or taking the cylinder off (I would assume the same goes with the E?).

That is sweet that it is that easy to plate a bike in NH. I wish PA was like that! You'll hafta share some pics of your KDX and the XR with us.
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

What is your main concern, racing or tail riding?

E KIPS needs cylinder off to clean, which is highly recommended. Low miles of rich jetting with bad oil= no fun and caked up carbon. Caked up carbon and people not checking it and cleaning it is what destroys the parts.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
fishwater
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by fishwater »

I'm definitely just trail riding, no racing. I've been thinking about pulling the head to clean & inspect the Kips but haven't gotten around to it.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Maybe the E will suit your needs. If you had neither, then I would suggest the 1995+ KDX200 / KDX220R. Some parts are more available.

As best I remember, the center valve can not come out with the cylinder installed. Someone correct me if my memory is failing me.
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

Tyl3r wrote:I know you can pull all of the KIPS parts from an H series without pulling the motor or taking the cylinder off (I would assume the same goes with the E).
Sorry to hijack the post but this is the first I've heard that all the H KIPS parts can be pulled with the cylinder in place. I always thought I would never be able to get at the two allen caps in the front with the engine in the bike and cylinder on but never took a really close look at that option. Tyler can you give any tips to making that happen for future service? Is it straight forward access to all the fasteners that you need to get at?

To the original poster, if you have a clean E already I would go with that. I've always read good things about those.
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

fishwater wrote:So I recently picked up a very original, clean 1994 with low miles. I'm trying to decide if I should modify it or not, do the typical fork conversion, pipe, etc. How does the E compare to the H? Do I sell the 94 & put the money towards an H & build the H? How much better is the H series vs the E series? Or do I say forget the KDX, sell it & buy a early 2000 KTM 200 or 300? I ride the typical snotty New England woods & need to plate a bike to connect trails.
but whichever one you like, title and tag it through South Dakota, transfer to your state and enjoy connecting trails on a very nimble two stroke. it's what i do
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

I heard there's more power on the E, but better ergos on the H. E has a larger stock tank, but no aftermarket available. H has smaller stock tank but oversize aftermarket options. Yes E has the kips issues, but the BDK solution works great.
I just finished rebuilding my 2nd E series. After a lot of wrenching, buying and learning I was getting tired of it and ready to sell. But then I got a good ride in with a friend. Started out on rocky 2 track and it just wasn't pleasant. A larger PJ helped that out a lot.
Then we got on an open rode in the upper gears and she really came to life! I found myself laughing in the middle of rides, and passed my friend going down hill pulling a wheelie in 3rd. Scared me a bit, but I'm a little more interested in what she can do with a little bit more dialing in.
You can have a great time on an E series. Will an H be better enough to go through the time and money to sell this and get that? Seems like a gamble. Love the one you're with.

"Fun Wheel Drive"
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Hell yeah. Cool story, Friedom.
fishwater
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by fishwater »

Friedom wrote:I heard there's more power on the E, but better ergos on the H. E has a larger stock tank, but no aftermarket available. H has smaller stock tank but oversize aftermarket options. Yes E has the kips issues, but the BDK solution works great.
I just finished rebuilding my 2nd E series. After a lot of wrenching, buying and learning I was getting tired of it and ready to sell. But then I got a good ride in with a friend. Started out on rocky 2 track and it just wasn't pleasant. A larger PJ helped that out a lot.
Then we got on an open rode in the upper gears and she really came to life! I found myself laughing in the middle of rides, and passed my friend going down hill pulling a wheelie in 3rd. Scared me a bit, but I'm a little more interested in what she can do with a little bit more dialing in.
You can have a great time on an E series. Will an H be better enough to go through the time and money to sell this and get that? Seems like a gamble. Love the one you're with.

"Fun Wheel Drive"
Good points, thank you. I definitely feel cramped which at 6'2" & fat I expected but once I start to think about adding offset risers to also push the bars forward I realize then the headlight bracket won't bolt to the top clamp & that means pulling the odometer because of the bracket, adding a new headlight & replacing the odometer with a Trail Tech so I can keep track of mileage or doing a front end swap just to get a newer top clamp with some adjustment. All that adds up to a bit of money just to fix the cramped ergos, I guess if I wasn't a perfectionist I could figure out a way to half ass it but why bother, if you're going to do it then do it right. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to proceed with a budget unlike my XR that I spent more money than it's probably worth but have it how I want. Seems to me that if I wanted to remove the odometer & rig the top of the headlight somehow to the forks or triple clamp I'd be all set with offset risers but haven't been able to wrap my head around a way to do it without it being a hokey rigged up deal.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Buy a used 1990 upper triple clamp from a KX250 or KX500. It has the rubber mounted bar mounts. That could put it a little bit forward.
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

Or a set of H triples so the bars go straight up instead of angling back.
I could see the issues with ergonomics for someone of your stature. It's a small bike. H isn't much bigger though.

"Fun Wheel Drive"
fishwater
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by fishwater »

Friedom wrote:Or a set of H triples so the bars go straight up instead of angling back.
I could see the issues with ergonomics for someone of your stature. It's a small bike. H isn't much bigger though.

"Fun Wheel Drive"
I fortunately (or unfortunately when it comes to top clamps) have a 94 with USD'S that makes swapping top clamps difficult unless I use the 1990 KX250/500 top clamps.
fishwater
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by fishwater »

Jason wrote:Buy a used 1990 upper triple clamp from a KX250 or KX500. It has the rubber mounted bar mounts. That could put it a little bit forward.
That was my thought especially if I could find a mount that shifts the bars up & forward like the RSW top clamp does on my XR.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

That is the only solution I know of besides lucking into an Answer / Pro Taper billet upper clamp that has been discontinued for years. I have one on my '94. I think that it is really for a '90 KX, but happens to fit the KDX.
fishwater
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by fishwater »

I decided to throw it on CL for a really high cash price to see if I could get any interest on a trade earlier this week. It's crazy but if you can even find a KDX up here the good ones are all over 2k so I figured why not. I'm really posting the link so you guys can see the pics if you want, I tried to load the pics into my gallery but failed. Any way, here she is, I still haven't decided what to do if I really want to sell it but we'll see.....

https://nh.craigslist.org/mcy/6034806022.html