Is this sound the KIPS rattling?

Got questions? We got answers....
jackbombay

Post by jackbombay »

This is the first KDX I've been around so I'm not sure if this is normal or not.

Only does it at Idle,

[youtube][/youtube]
doctord23
Supporting Member

Re: Is this sound the KIPS rattling?

Post by doctord23 »

Sounds like a 200 and not unusual to me.

Pull in the clutch and the sound will usually change.
My Team Green:
2002 KX-KDX 220
2000 KDX 220
2003 KLX 300 DS
1988 White KDX 200C3
1984 KX500 (original owner)
1996 Honda Magna V4
2017 Honda Africa Twin DCT
jackbombay

Post by jackbombay »

doctord23 wrote:Sounds like a 200 and not unusual to me.
Thats good to hear!
doctord23 wrote: Pull in the clutch and the sound will usually change.
Not particularly, just a few hundred RPMs above idle and the noise is pretty much gone, but pulling the clutch doesn't really affect it, there is a tiny bit of noise coming from the trans that goes away when I pull the clutch in, but the "rattle" doesn't change.
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

sounds like a kick starter in the lowest position, beating on the kick starter ratchet.

you can fill the transmission with one full litter and it will quiet it down some. mines beat to hell and doesn't rattle like that
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Sounds like the KIPS to me
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by thirdgenlxi »

Mine sounds exactly the same.... goes away as soon as it's off idle. Kinda funny.... a couple months ago I was at our local OHV getting ready to go ride. I was letting the bike warm up as I always do..... after couple minutes the older guy parked a couple spaces over walks over and says, "man I think you might want to look into putting a piston in that thing, it sounds like it's slapping pretty bad". I told him "it's the power valve.... it's normal, they all do it. Thanks though". He just kinda nodded and said "OK..." and walked back. I know he was probably thinking I was a total idiot the whole time, lol
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

thirdgenlxi wrote:Mine sounds exactly the same.... goes away as soon as it's off idle. Kinda funny.... a couple months ago I was at our local OHV getting ready to go ride. I was letting the bike warm up as I always do..... after couple minutes the older guy parked a couple spaces over walks over and says, "man I think you might want to look into putting a piston in that thing, it sounds like it's slapping pretty bad". I told him "it's the power valve.... it's normal, they all do it. Thanks though". He just kinda nodded and said "OK..." and walked back. I know he was probably thinking I was a total idiot the whole time, lol
LOL :lol:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
jackbombay

Post by jackbombay »

The general consensus is that the noise is from the KIPS. I'm pretty confident it's not from something being broken as well, the noise would increase with more RPM if it was something to worry about, but it goes away as RPMs increase.

Thanks guys!
Munger

Post by Munger »

Read numerous forums and also investigated myself. Its ths KIPS, Kawasaki Integrated Powervalve System. Long technical description you can read up, note that this is normal to the KDX. Its on my to do list to open valve system and try to eliminate the noise. Will post on this forum if i get time.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk