220 cooling

Got questions? We got answers....
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

220 cooling

Post by canyncarvr »

This has been knocked around a good bit. I have a question about it for you 220 guys.

Does the 220 head gasket have the same considerable water jacket restrictions the 200 gasket has?

Anyone consider opening up the gasket to match the cylinder/head passages?

Just curious.

More coolant faster isn't necessarily a good thing...but it could be.

If you're running ice/Evans/etc/etc ...I'm glad for you, but that's not the question. :roll:

Thanks.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I've noticed the head gasket is quite restrictive but never tried to open it up any more than it is stock.

I'm pleased you are glad for me running Evans though.......
dispite the question
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Good thought. I'll check mine when I pop the head (sending off to RB). I remember checking the base gasket to make sure it wasn't covering the transfer ports, but don't remember checking the coolant passages in the head gasket. :blink: Mine runs steam-free now that I put a good rad cap on it though.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

so, I took my head off today (uh, my cylinder head that is) and was surprised to see the head gasket has the restrictions of which CC speaks. To clarify, I'm not so much surprised that CC is right about something, but more bewildered as to why the restrictions are there. Me being generally a "more is better" type person, I would think that snipping out the gasket restrictions would allow more coolant to flow in those areas, and therefore be mo bettah. The other side of me that has paid heavy prices in the past for being talked into stupid things by the "more is better" A-hole (riding 140 mph past a donut shop with 3 state trooper cars there springs to mind), thinks maybe the engineers that put this restrictive gasket on the market perhaps did it intentionally. In order to solicit opinions on why this gasket is not made to match the water jacket profile, I have thoughtfully supplied and actual digital image of the gasket clearly depicting the measily 1/4" holes where a full water jacket ought to be, in the 12 and 6 o' clock positions.

Mike

'04 KDX220
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I think it has more to do with circulation and pressure myself.....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

I asked this question about racing heads/gaskets and got this answer:
The casting process needs a certain size of 'holes' to complete the process. This is for after the casting when they clean out the passage ways. The purposely cast large holes are big enough to allow for cleaning but are now too big for proper water flow. This too large of a hole allows water to pass through so fast it doesn't spend enough time in the head to absorb heat.

Racing radiators/engines do not use thermostats. Therefore you would think that the 2 inch opening where the thermostat was should be unrestricted into the big-ol radiator, but it isn't. There is a 7/8" restrictor washer in line to slow down the flow. Without it the system definitly overheats.

I would deduct that the small holes in the head gasket serve the same purpose.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

..To clarify, I'm not so much surprised that CC is right about something..
Please note that did NOT say he was not surprised.... :sad:

And if he WAS surprised..well, that wouldn't be a whole lot differnt (sic) now, 'eh? ;)

The small holes likely serve said purpose...but 'ya never know until you muck with it!!

Seeing as CM already has his apart, he might as well figger it all out for the rest of us!!

Thanks for the actual digital image. Those bogus reproduction, contrived, 'not real' type formulated images are worthless!

Consider the source

Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Thanks CC, the pic was even taken with genuine Kodak camera, with brand new megapixels. The upload speed can be slow, but I'm planning to install a KX rear fender soon.

As for blazing new frontiers by monkeying around with my cooling system, all so you guys can smugly laugh at me when my piston turns into a mushroom, uh,,, no.

When Ron sends it back, I'll be installing a fresh gasket, restrictions and all. Oh, and I have (in typical style) procrastinated long enough that now Ron is on vacation. Looks like I'll have the luxury of a lot of time to do my KX fork conversion. :supz:
Mike

'04 KDX220
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

...something else that indeed sucketh most large...used megapixels!!

So's you won't (further) hijack this nonsense thread with something of importance, please do post the results of your Kodak mod (btw...green or black?) in some other thread!!

Yeah. I heard Ron was going to be gone until April!!

...just kidding.

Consider the source