Pipe for Stock KDX220R

Got questions? We got answers....
ricarvar

Pipe for Stock KDX220R

Post by ricarvar »

Hi Guys,
I've read several posts about the exhaust-pipe mods for the KDX... to the point I'm confused now, mostly bcz it relates pipe and carb mods. So I hope you can help me to clear the waters here...question is:
- For a stock carburetor 2002 KDX-220R (A9) trails/woods riding on technical stuff, what is the best pipe to install while keeping the stock silencer?, the woods, desert, other?

Thanks !
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Pipe for Stock KDX220R

Post by John_S »

My 220 came with a woods pipe and with the stock carb it signed off on the top end pretty abruptly. Like it would pull fairly strong and then bam (time to shift). With the stock carb the highest rpm recorded was 9,040 with a 145 main, with a 35mm air striker it was 10,490 with a 155 main and 11,280 with a 150 main. That was during plug chops, I was really surprised. The stock carb is really holding the 220 back. I would love to see how it is with a desert pipe. If I were to buy a pipe for a stock carb it would be the desert for sure.
Willbilly

Pipe for Stock KDX220R

Post by Willbilly »

http://www.frpoffroad.com/kdxposed.htm all hail the KDX god and his advice including his suggestion to your question.
doctord23
Supporting Member

Post by doctord23 »

Definitely the desert pipe for the 220.
It will give it some top end without sacrificing bottom end.
My Team Green:
2002 KX-KDX 220
2000 KDX 220
2003 KLX 300 DS
1988 White KDX 200C3
1984 KX500 (original owner)
1996 Honda Magna V4
2017 Honda Africa Twin DCT
cornishwrecker220

Pipe for Stock KDX220R

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

If you are riding tight single track, rocky climbs , woods that kind of thing then the "woods" pipe is what you want.
The 220 is ported differently to that of the 200 meaning that is power is designed for low end torque ( the 220 has a narrow power band meaning the revs drop off at the top end of the rpm range )
You can adjust the timing to gain a little extra on top , even fitting the "desert" pipe & 35mm carb off the 200 will all help raise the power but unless you have the head & ports worked on it will never match the 200 for all out top end .

My advice ( being a 220 owner ) is fit the "woods" pipe with a matching silencer , keep the air box lid on but remove the snorkel .... The 35mm carb does work & will help with the midrange without sacrificing any of the low down grunt a 220 is famous for. If you want some extra boost then the boyesen rad valve also works...I know because I have installed all of the above & more & my 220 hauls ass everywhere :supz:

I also had a 'desert' pipe that installed but soon removed it & stuck with my FMF woods because it shifted the power curve & made the bottom end somewhat flat which was a pain in the technical stuff... Yes it helps the mid range & on top a little but I much preferred the way the "woods" pipe behaved down low which is where I mostly ride....I also noticed that the expansion "buldge" stuck out quite a bit compared to the "woods" pipe so if you did have a spill on this side then I'd imagine this part of the exhaust would get damaged quite badly .
cornishwrecker220

Pipe for Stock KDX220R

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

Actually I have just remembered ....

It wasn't a "desert" pipe I installed but the Pro Circuit platinum pipe ....similar design to the FMF desert
ricarvar

Post by ricarvar »

Thank you guys a lot for you replies!
Definitively it seems there's a lot of things to do on the KDX...

Willbilly - interesting to see in the article on Fredette's site it say not to install the torque pipe on the 220r ?

Now I just need to find a decently price pipe... :grin:
ricarvar

Post by ricarvar »

cornishwrecker - that is exactly what I ride... low technical stuff (kind of slow enduro/trials technical stuff). So I guess as you suggests it's the "Woods" pipe what will give me that low-end grunt that I'm looking to improve. I think the original/sock silencer matched the "Woods" pipe, right?
I'd also do the snorkel mod... and if I ever move up, I'll do the rad valve (at some point I hope...) also.
THANKS !
javjacob

Post by javjacob »

FMF desert pipe for the 220. The pro circuit platinum 2 is the only other good choice but they aren't made anymore. IMO the bigger carb and desert pipe are a must for the 220.
2000 Kawasaki KDX220R
1996 Kawasaki KDX200