KLX compare to KDX?

Got questions? We got answers....
kawrider

KLX compare to KDX?

Post by kawrider »

Came across a 99 or 00 klx tonight and the guy is selling it for 1500...Bikes looks great just don't know how these bikes are...I have a 98 KDX and love it but I also like the smooth power of the 4 strokes. Is the KLX a good buy or is it a piece. Byt the looks of the specs it seems to be about the same as the KD...I do like the inverted for on the KLX and it had some pro taper bars on it. Any information would be appreciated...I know we all r KDX fans but I would just like an honest opinion. First time post here and love the website...thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I was looking at them a while back.... The year you looked at are fine... before 98 are not. You will need to replace the carb and jet it correctly, replace the exhaust pipe and silencer to get anything resembling power. They are a little heavier and will never beat your KDX in a race.... other than that.... they are pretty darn solid! :cool:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
kawrider

Post by kawrider »

So for all around riding.....little racing...mostly trail riding the KDX is the way to go. I am planning on a new pipe and silencer...with that mod surely the KLX couldn't keep up. Thanks for the information..I've been trying to find more info on the KLX so keep the KDX is the thing to do?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

DEFINATELY! :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

KLX's need the pumper carb mod. They also have no rebound adjustment on the forks.

Keep the 2 popper....

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Rod Smith
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rod Smith »

I have both a KLX and a KDX in my garage. The KLX 300 is okay but I really prefer my KDX220 for the fun factor. I have owned a XR250 and I think the KLX is a much better bike. The high points of the KLX are good mileage, solid suspension, and being 5’8” is just right frame wise and seating position. I bought mine to dual sport this summer to commute on. I would suggest both bikes if possible and if not keep the KDX.
2000 KDX 220
kawrider

Post by kawrider »

Sounds great...Everytime I get on the KDX I love it more and more. I can't wait to put an FMF pipe and silencer. From all that I have read it is the best thing you can do for it. I ordered my taller seat today and should have it on the bike by thurs. Being 6'2" alot of people have said that is a great mod as well. Thanks you all for keeping my head in the right direction by keepin the 2 stroker..
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Yeah, tall seat foam and susp work first, IMO.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project