Chinese Steering damper

Got questions? We got answers....
patreilly
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Chinese Steering damper

Post by patreilly »

Not having much luck finding a used Scotts steering damper. One on Ebay for $199. Anybody have any experience with the Chinese knock off? My bike is already set up except for the damper itself. Don't need your opinion on Chinese "junk" just info from experienced users.
seniorsehas
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Chinese Steering damper

Post by seniorsehas »

I have a chinese damper on on my R6 race bike. I also have a Scotts on my street SV650. Though I've never used a damper on a dirt bike there's a tremendous difference between the two.

The Scotts has low speed and high speed settings that are very easily tunable for conditions. The Chinese has one setting and it's a pretty simple (dumb) system.

For what I use it for (passing tech inspection) the Chinese one works just fine. It is fragile (I've over-turned it and the caps blew) and it isn't as adjustable as the Scotts unit. If I was going to dampen the KDX there's no way I'd go Chinese as there's way more steering that happens on a trail than in an asphalt race. Save up for the Scotts... Or pay a small amount with the Chinese one to see if you like dampening til it blows :grin: Then get a Scotts.
patreilly
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Chinese Steering damper

Post by patreilly »

Seniorsehas, Thanks for the input. That is what I was looking for.