rear spoke question

Got questions? We got answers....
towpro

rear spoke question

Post by towpro »

Picked up 91 kdx 200 so I can go trail riding again. I know the bike, know the history, its really in pretty nice shape, but I ran into a problem with the rear rim.

About every 4th or 6th spoke is loose, some on both sides of wheel. Wiggle in the rim type loose. Since I am a heaver rider I need to get after this before I put it back on the trail.

Do I try one at a time to free up the loose spokes in nipples, run the nipple all the way off, brush it, apply anti seize, than try to torque it back (around 15" lbs I think I read), doing one at a time?

or should I just spend the $100 bucks and buy a complete set?

if I do the complete set, how do I do it without screwing up the wheel alignment? right now everything is still straight.

My guess is cut out 1 loose spoke at a time, replace it, then torque it to specs, then do another loose on other side, as well as other 1/2 of wheel.
after all the loose ones are done, start on cutting out one tight one at a time, and proceed as above.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: rear spoke question

Post by KDXGarage »

Try to see how many you can loosen.

I doubt you will have much success on trying to snug them all the way down one at a time.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

If it's every 4-6 you're only talking about 6-8 spokes. I would just work the loose ones, one at a time. No need to relace a straight rim for a few loose spokes.
towpro

rear spoke question

Post by towpro »

I am also looking for a rim lock. and in case I do buy some spokes in aftermarket,
am I correct in reading that 88-94 was 1.85 x 18 rear rim, and 95-2006 was 2.15 x 18?

Thanks
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

You can get a Motion Pro or other brand rim lock.

1989 - 1994 came with a 1.85" rear rim and 1995+ was 2.15". I don't think that would change the spoke, though. Look on the parts diagrams for your bike. Kawasaki sells the spokes and nipples individually.
towpro

rear spoke question

Post by towpro »

I think I counted 10 total, some on both sides of rim. I just was able to free up 3 out of 4 I tries so far and clean them, antisense application and now I could tighten them up enough.
than I snapped off the 4th one. so at that rate, if i need to buy 3 or 4 from dealer that will not break the bank.

sure hope the vice grip marks on spoke are not causing a weak spot, but the one that broke did break inside the nipple. I should have done a little more back and forth instead of back and back :oops:
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Are you using penetrating oil and letting it set?
towpro

Post by towpro »

Yes. Been sitting, spray some more, sit some more. I can't work on again until Thursday, but I will keep spraying them until then
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

On a set of wheels that old, who knows the integrity of the spokes? Especially if you are having problems with them here and there. What happens when you fix a couple, put the tire back on, go out for a ride, then two or three more are messed up... then take the tire off again, replace those ones, put the tire back on, go ride, find two or three more bad ones... when will it end? lol

If you have access to a truing stand (or don't mind buying/building one) and want the piece of mind, just rebuild them. Its really not that bad. I physched myself out for a while... and then I watched a bunch of youtubes, borrowed a stand and rebuilt my wheels. Not too hard at all, especially if you have a dial indicator handy to check your work (just takes a lil bit of time). One wheel should be less than 100 bucks in parts, and when you are done, its something else you don't have to worry about. Older spokes will fatigue over time and won't want to stay torqued, My vote is for a rebuild!
05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I vote for taking the tire off, put penetrating oil on ALL spoke ends and spoke nipples, loosen all that will loosen, then replace the ones that don't work
towpro

Post by towpro »

Tire is already off, right now bike is on lift and wheel is sitting in swing arm. I do have all the stand/ dial indicator I need, just waiting to get feeling better from this cold I got. Mean time still soaking spokes from both ends on nipples
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Good luck! I don't have the patience for that lol I'd have cut them all off already and had new ones on order.
towpro

Post by towpro »

I will be moving before long on this project again. Doctor said bronchitis, and gave me Zpack. Maybe it started with the dirt I inhaled when I took the wire wheel to the inside of the rim :mad:
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Hate to hear that. Get well soon.

Dust masks, 20 for $3 at Wal-Mart. Gotta wear em.
towpro

rear spoke question

Post by towpro »

all loose spokes are now free. I need to buy 2.

looking on line i see this:

SPOKE-INNER,RR,189MMX160D
41029-1199
quantity shows 36, which I assume means 36 spokes, so can I assume both left and right are the same spoke?

NIPPLE-SPOKE
41032-1061

so spokes on rear rim are the same left and right? dealer wants $11 for one spoke and nipple, but by the time I pay shipping online its close.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Yes, rear spokes same length on all. Front has different inner/outer lengths.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

As bufftester stated, all the rear spokes on that bike are the same length, inner and outer, left and right. All 72 nipples are the same.

I think I must say, $22 and some learning wins out over buying a whole new set and completely building a wheel.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Can't say it has won out yet! Need some riding time to see if any of the other 25 year old spokes give an issue lol I hope they don't, but its hard to say...
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Ain't everybody big ballin, pick up the phone and get it done like you. :mrgreen:
towpro

Post by towpro »

my nasty cold is going away, but I screwed up and did not order enough spokes (long story). another week delay now, but its only Feb, got plenty of time.