rear spoke question

Got questions? We got answers....
towpro

rear spoke question

Post by towpro »

thanks for the help everyone. Spokes went on back-order, than the last 2 finally came in. Rode it today.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: rear spoke question

Post by KDXGarage »

You are welcome. I am glad to hear you got it going.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
BamBam
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by BamBam »

I just noticed I am missing a single rear spoke (on chain side). Have no idea where it went, or if it was like that since I bought the bike. How common is this, really?
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

If you check them before and after every ride, like you should, it's not common at all. Spokes come loose, they stretch, get bent by sticks, or other objects. Jumping and being harsh on the wheels when mounting tires can all cause them to loosen up.

You need to start doing regular inspections before and after (mainly after) riding. I do mine right after washing the bike up while it's nice and clean. I go over all wear items (like brake pads), check the bearings, chain, sprockets and spokes. I make notes of things that are getting close to needing replacing and place them in my "cart" at my favorite retailer, or purchase them right away, so they are on the shelf. Spokes and nuts and bolts get tightened and/or replaced immediately. This saves me from loosing the very expensive KDX plastic bits and ruining things or warping wheels.
OK, I'm done preaching.....
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
towpro

Post by towpro »

kind of a late reply, but its as easy as spinning the wheel slowly while a tool steel wrench hits each spoke. Listen to the sound, if one is loose you will hear the tone will be way off the others. not like were tuning a piano here, but you will hear all the spokes have near the same ring, but loose one will be lower in frequency.