I need help!!!!!

Got questions? We got answers....
motorhed220

I need help!!!!!

Post by motorhed220 »

I ride with a bunch of thumper, Honda, and Yamaha ridin ANTI-Team green people, and i need some good points as to what makes the KDX so amazingly superior to all other challengers when it comes too bush wacking, can anyone fill me in??? lol :sad: :supz:
Live to Ride, Ride to live!!!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Price, reliability, start with your hand, longivity, rebuild cost and ease.... you don't know these things?

I don't think anyone said they are better... just smarter. :wink: The newer bikes have technology on their side where the KDX doesn't. But you won't see a KDX float a valve or cost $1000 to rebuild every 6 months. I bet they can't name something in the woods that their 6K plus bike can do that the KDX can't..... throw that at 'em!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
the trail rider

Post by the trail rider »

woohoo go team green, same as indawoods points i know the kdx would smoke the 250fs in the woods and probably do pretty good and keep close to the 450's, the kdx comes into its own in the woods when the racing four strokes don't feel as comfortable.
get a lift, fat chicks can't jump!

when in doubt gas it!
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

A few of my freinds ride big 4 strokes. I spend a lot of my riding time going back to find them killing themselves trying to get those beasts started. Seems after they fall over, they don't want to get going again. One guy has a YZ 426. That thing has cost him so much money, he wants me to buy it. I couldn't believe it cost around a grand to rebuild it. My bike seems to be quite a bit lighter, more reliable, and easier to live with in really rough terrain. I can get off and muscle it around if I need to. Usually I have to go back and help them and when I do sometimes I can't put it on the sidestand. I just turn off the gas, and lay it over. I come back, switch on the gas, maybe give it 2-3 easy kicks, and off I go. Oh, and the seat, much more comfy than the 2x6 seats they put on modern bikes.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

So it boils down to more available time for riding (less for routine maintainence): More energy left at the end of the ride (no restarting issues and less weight): More green in the pocket after purchase; Less green from the pocket for rebuilds. Parts are relatively cheap.

I'm not conveinced that most of the newer technology is really making MOST of us faster (exception may be the forks on the KDX) but then look at Jeff's F's pictures at the ISDE old technology forks and all - he makes it work very well.

I would not argue about a particular bike with my friends - I would just ride them into the ground over a period of time only mentioning that I did not think the old KDX was ever going to wear out, need a rebuild, etc. Low key gotcha approach...
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Ask them after they put in a set of Kibblewhites how they like their 4-strokes.

If any of them spend 1/2 an hour trying to start their bikes after a loop-job, tell 'em you'll come back to check on 'em...make sure they're OK....maybe tomorrow.....

You paid WHAT for that thing?

Obviously it's a matter of preference over 'superiority' one way or the other. The KDX is likely a more durable machine and over time will cost less to maintain than newer 4-strokes. There will be times you're still going (or ready to go)...and they won't be.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I'm in the same boat lately.
I let the bike speak for itself; I don't let any one see me wash it or work on it and I never comment on how it's running or "I wish it did this...."
The good old boys up the street all went and got CRF450's. If the trail narrows to less than 36" I'll walk away. I avoid racing them up the power lines, though.
I also ride with a couple of 'A' riders, one on a YZ250 and the other on a GasGas. I can't get keep up with them, but I'm not TOO far behind. They know it is ME, and not the bike, that can't keep up.
When the trail is real tight it works out like this:
KDX220: ~14 mph avg
'A' rider on anything: ~16 mph avg loafing to "who cares you'll never see'em again"
Big 4-stroke: Who cares? If it doesn't overheat it'll stall while you keep on cruising.
Get 'em in the tights!

Karl
Lutz
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Lutz »

How about my classic example.

My older brother and our friend both bought brand new KDX's in the spring of '97 (both showroom '95 models). My brother sold me his in 1999. Friend bought a brand new CRF450R in 2003, and then sold off his KDX (his kdx never had any maintenance other than new tires, drives, and air filters...and had never, not once, broken down). In summer of 2004 his CRF's engine self destructed...broken rod, destroyed cases, cylinder, crank, piston, transmission, head...yeah, the whole engine. Now friend hasn't ridden in two years because he can't afford to replace the engine in the bike he is still paying for. Oh yeah, my KDX is still running (only major maintenance it's had was a new top end w/ big bore kit)...and last I heard my friend's old KDX is still running too.

Hey I just thought of something...the H model KDX is one of the few 'all new' bikes that never suffered 'teething' problems of any sort.

Moral of the story: KDX=Reliable, 'Modern' Four Strokes=Not Reliable
Keep It Simple Stupid
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Maybe he could 'shoehorn' a KDX engine into that Honda chassis?

That would be a hoot...........;)

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

That would be a heck of a reliablity upgrade...
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I bet a Honda chassis could be found relatively easily
The CRF250X might be a better choice, though.
I rode one recently and the handling/ergonomics were very nice. In fact, the whole delivery was really nice. Of course, it was $6000 and brand new. That doesn't change the facts concerning reliability.

We'll call it a "Kawihonda"?
"Hondasaki"?
Just a plain 'ole "Konda"?
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

If money is a non-issue have BBR make a frame for the kdx engine.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine