Clutch pressure

Got questions? We got answers....
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Clutch pressure

Post by doakley »

I'd like to find a way to reduce the pressure needed to pull in the clutch lever. The cable is new, clean and freshly lubed. That's not the issue. I'm wondering if anyone has ever experimented with modifying the clutch release lever on top of the right side engine case. Seems to me a slight increase in the length of the arm, maybe only 1/4 inch, would greatly reduce the force needed to actuate the clutch. You can't make it too long as that would mean having to pull the lever in too far. If I had the part from a junk bike I could play around with welding up a modification without destroying the stock part. Any experience out there with this?
MaverickAus
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: Clutch pressure

Post by MaverickAus »

I have read about (different bike) removing a couple of the clutch springs to give a lighter pressure. It's free and you can put them back if it doesn't work.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

You could use a KX125 arm or buy a second stock KDX arm and try to extend it:
http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 5+actuator
05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
Willbilly

Post by Willbilly »

Well shoot I just bought a new one and I forgot about the 125 arm. Guess I'll make do with a strong left forearm to match my manly right forearm.
cornishwrecker220

Clutch pressure

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

You can buy an 'easy pull" adapter that attatches to the existing clutch cable , the easy pull cable then attatches to the lever on the handle bar ...they are cheap to buy ....or you could install the magura hydraulic system ( same as the ktm ) .... I have one & it's great , but not cheap..... I can use one finger to activate it & it reduces arm pump too..!
Or you could just go with the revloc or dyna ring set up .
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Honestly, I feel like with a new, lubed cable and ATF in the transmission, my pull is every bit as easy as the Magura's on my buddies KTM's. I didn't extend the clutch arm either.
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

After doing a little research and checking out a KTM 250, I think what I really want is a Magura hydraulic set up. Think I'll live with what I have until I can save up the money for one.
goinsriding

Clutch pressure

Post by goinsriding »

I bought one of these and it works great! Super easy pull for a cable clutch. Mark Patterson is his name. (865)850-9488 is how to get a hold of him.

pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Clutch pressure

Post by pumpguy »

Ingenious way to increase the mechanical advantage.

Is that one continuous cable, or is the cable coming off the large diameter separate? Can you describe the cable routing at the double diameter roller?
goinsriding

Clutch pressure

Post by goinsriding »

pumpguy wrote:Ingenious way to increase the mechanical advantage.

Is that one continuous cable, or is the cable coming off the large diameter separate? Can you describe the cable routing at the double diameter roller?

It is one continuous cable. It wraps around the pulley on the small diameter and around the large diameter.

Mark is a great guy and would be able to help with any questions.
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Clutch pressure

Post by pumpguy »

goinsriding wrote:
pumpguy wrote:Ingenious way to increase the mechanical advantage.

It is one continuous cable. It wraps around the pulley on the small diameter and around the large diameter.

Mark is a great guy and would be able to help with any questions.
Thanks, The picture isn't clear how the cable transitions from the small diameter pulley to the larger one. Can you clarify?
Last edited by pumpguy on 07:32 pm Feb 13 2017, edited 1 time in total.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Nice! That is a super cool idea for sure! Did you have to use a longer clutch cable with it?
goinsriding

Post by goinsriding »

He makes his own clutch cable and you get that with the kit. Sorry for the late reply
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Nice, thanks. Can you order those online anywhere or anything? Or do you have to call Mark and order it directly thru him?

I did a quick search and see that he got a full blown patent for that thing: https://www.google.com/patents/US9206863 pretty cool lol
goinsriding

Post by goinsriding »

You would need to contact him directly. 865 then 850 then 9488 is how to reach him.

Edited by Jason.

Guys and gals, please do not post numbers and email addresses that computer software can easily pick up and spam someone.

Throw some pause words in there somehow.

Thanks!,
Jason
ricarvar

Clutch pressure

Post by ricarvar »

Wow... that looks a really interesting option. I might go ahead with it and will try to contact Mark.

"Goingsriding"... In the interim, could you please enlighten us a bit more on some details...?
e.g. installation straightforward to easy or hard, what parts are replaced, etc?
More importantly... performance ways?... how does it keeps the travel within limits?, or how much adjustment needs, etc., etc., etc.

And finally, thanks a lot for sharing such option... really really interesting to me ! :grin:
goinsriding

Post by goinsriding »

The system really just replaces your clutch actuator. He sends you everything you need to do it. Mark is a very nice guy and will be happy to help in any way he can.

Ive had the system for over a year and I haven't had to adjust the clutch anymore than normal. The pull is so much better!! It would be tough for me to go back to a normal clutch pull now.
ricarvar

Post by ricarvar »

I had a chance to get a hold of Mark and request one of his pulley systems... so it's on the work now !... I'm waiting to get it done.
fishwater
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Clutch pressure

Post by fishwater »

I constantly consider the Magura option but spending the money for it is a tough pill to swallow. How does Mark's system compare? Work as good, almost as good? Certainly looks simpler even though either system is more complicated than a basic cable, pivot & lever. What's the cost?
1994 KDX 200 all original, street plate
2009 KTM 250XCF-W, street plate
jackbombay

Clutch pressure

Post by jackbombay »

fishwater wrote:I constantly consider the Magura option but spending the money for it is a tough pill to swallow. How does Mark's system compare?
Magura kit from ebay looks to be a bit over $200.

The modified lever and longer cable will reduce clutch pull force, but I think the magura will provide better modulation as there is zero stiction with a hydraulic set up and no matter how good a cable setup is there will be some stiction.