Restore

Got questions? We got answers....
MaverickAus
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Restore

Post by MaverickAus »

JL4049 wrote:Mine is the same model, the Aus ones are similar to the US 'H' models however on the Kawasaki parts fiches are listed as 'J' model. They are able to be street registered but mechanically are the same as an H model, wiring is almost as for the SR model with the exception of the low oil light as there is no oil tank.
Lighting circuits are DC and voltage is regulated. Just noticed your headlight is a different shape to mine, maybe off an earlier model?
Thanks for the info, I really don't know I was given that stuff with the bike. I do have another headlight unit which I assume is off a KDX or an earlier KLX, I had it on my KLX for a while to save weight.

Wow that was a while ago, I just noticed my old Nokia 3310 or 3315 on my desk.
MaverickAus
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: Restore

Post by MaverickAus »

Anyone tried a Works Connection bash plate? http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/13 ... sizeid=401 I like the mounting system.
MaverickAus
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Restore

Post by MaverickAus »

Did a bit more today got all the wiring off not much left. The nylon chain guide fell apart when I took it off Kawasaki wants almost $60 for just the 1. :oops: I'm looking at a Moose Racing replacement.
I am having trouble with the swingarm and triples and the reed valve is stuck pretty well. Ducked out and bought a plastic mallet to try to free the reeds.
MaverickAus
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Restore

Post by MaverickAus »

Well it's stripped completely except for the headstem ball races and the bellcrank which like the swingarm bolt is being stubborn, unlike the swingarm bolt I can't get anything in there to hit it with. Hopefully soaking overnight in WD-40 helps.

Any suggestions welcome :prayer:
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Do you have a porta-power? You may be able to put a head up against the side of the frame and push the bolt thru. I'm guessing your bearing race seized to the bolt. Heating and cooling the bolt may help. I'd try to use a better pentrant than WD-40 too, like PD Blaster or Aerokroil

If all else fails, may be able to get a saw-zaw blade in there to cut the bolt and pull it all apart, then press everything out and replace the bolt.
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
MaverickAus
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by MaverickAus »

Thanks for the suggestions
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Penetrating oil and heat cycles. Maybe you can get lucky.

I have done this piece before. The bolt was seized to the sleeve. YOU WILL NOT GET A SAWZALL IN BETWEEN THE FRAME AND LINKAGE PIECE! Repeat. You WILL NOT.

I ended up having to cut up the linkage piece to get to the bolt / sleeve to cut them in two. WHAT A NIGHTMARE!! It was February of 2009. Eight years, and I still dread it!! :rolleyes: :shock: :snooty:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
MaverickAus
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by MaverickAus »

Hopefully mine won't be that bad
MaverickAus
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by MaverickAus »

Finally got everything off the bolt finally came out with a few good belts with a chisel I bought to get the headstem bearings out.

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

WHEW! CONGRATULATIONS! :supz: :bravo: :partyman:
MaverickAus
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by MaverickAus »

Thank you
Willbilly

Restore

Post by Willbilly »

MaverickAus wrote:
JL4049 wrote:Mine is the same model, the Aus ones are similar to the US 'H' models however on the Kawasaki parts fiches are listed as 'J' model. They are able to be street registered but mechanically are the same as an H model, wiring is almost as for the SR model with the exception of the low oil light as there is no oil tank.
Lighting circuits are DC and voltage is regulated. Just noticed your headlight is a different shape to mine, maybe off an earlier model?
Thanks for the info, I really don't know I was given that stuff with the bike. I do have another headlight unit which I assume is off a KDX or an earlier KLX, I had it on my KLX for a while to save weight.

Wow that was a while ago, I just noticed my old Nokia 3310 or 3315 on my desk.
the graphics on that number plate are awesome!
MaverickAus
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Restore

Post by MaverickAus »

Had a chat with a paint guy at a local trade supply shop, he reckons Valspar TB-540 for the paint he can mix it any colour. I was tossing up green or black :hmm:
On one hand the green is Kawasaki and the OEM colour, on the other hand gloss black looks great and will be easier to touch up. Also seeing as the frame is being painted I might as well do the swingarm the same colour instead of paying out extra money for another colour. I don't think it would look good with green frame and swingarm, however black? :hmm:
Decisions decisions.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Restore

Post by KDXGarage »

Willbilly wrote:the graphics on that number plate are awesome!
YEAH THEY ARE! :bravo: :partyman:

I am in the anti-black crowd.

Green frame, silver swing arm, as nature intended it to be. :razz:
MaverickAus
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by MaverickAus »

Anyone any good at photoshop? :lol:
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Congrats on the bolt extraction!

lol green or silver frames do look nice on the KDX's and help keep that factory look... I have to agree

That being said, I'm all about the black frames! I did my hybrid frame and swingarm black and love how they came out.

Just a thought...about how much do you expect to have invested in painting the frame and swingarm? Why not have it powder coated? It would hold up muuuccchhh better. Should cost about $300 or less to have both parts done too (that's what we charge at least).
MaverickAus
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by MaverickAus »

I was thinking about powder but I figured paint is easier and cheaper to fix if it gets damaged. Also I've read that powder can be difficult to get into some of the corners? Got any photos of yours with the black frame?
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

If you take it to someone that knows what they are doing and they aren't using a cheapo gun, should have no problems getting into tight spots (I didn't miss any spots on mine).

All striped down:

Powdered gloss black:

My thought on the touch-up is, paint or powder, you can hit it with some gloss black paint either way if you mess it up. The powder just holds up soo much better. For example, when I was carrying the powder coated rims into my garage, my buddy bumped into me as I was coming thru the door and I smacked the two rims together and then banged them off the wall... after closely inspecting them, it didn't do any damage (pretty surprising!). Also, when we put a painted part into the blast cabinet, the media will take it right off, down to bare metal. When we put a powdered part in there, no matter how long you hold the gun over it, it won't go down to bare metal. Just wants to dull it. Its some super durable stuff!
MaverickAus
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by MaverickAus »

Thanks for the photos and info, I'll look into the powder coating
MaverickAus
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I